Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] How do I fix SystemD's text on boot?

Everytime we boot Kubuntu we get the Kubuntu Glowing Logo as it loads us to the Display Manager, however I like seeing the details of SystemD as it loads. SystemD's text is too big, I'd like to know how to fix this issue.

For my personal tastes, using the splash option is... a deer with bad eyes. (That is, a bad-eyed-deer

I advise everyone to use the "text-noisy option" to boot.
    That is done by editing /etc/default/grub, removing the quiet and splash options, and sudo update-grub.

It may also help with what you're trying to achieve.

Comment

You know you can see almost all you need to see via dmesg in a konsole, or all of it via the log viewers.

I spent too may years being bored to tears over what the noisy text option was showing on boot - and it's impossible to analyze as it's flying by.

If the system stops booting, it's in the logs. If something goes upside down with the system during your session, it's in the logs.

I love peace and quiet, and quick booting
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        You know you can see almost all you need to see via dmesg in a konsole, or all of it via the log viewers.

I spent too may years being bored to tears over what the noisy text option was showing on boot - and it's impossible to analyze as it's flying by.

If the system stops booting, it's in the logs. If something goes upside down with the system during your session, it's in the logs.

I love peace and quiet, and quick booting

And any crashes or lockups often have nothing to do with what is on the screen at the time it happens ...

I have been asked by someone why, as a Linux user, I don't I have a text only login, as it looks more U83r l33t liNuX h4xoR-y
        My response did involve a small profanity

Comment

Well, as they say here, "Pa' gustos, los colores". (For tastes, colours).
          Crashes and lockups may have nothing to do with what is on the screen at boot, but if something hangs, you see it immediately.
          And as to quick booting, I really don't see how having Plymouth (a known hog) mask the message might improve that...
          But then, I'm a control freak...

Comment

Simply writing thousands of lines of message to both the screen and disk will involve a few micro-seconds,, or perhaps even pico-seconds

Nonetheless, it's useless noise ...
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I downloaded/installed the KCM Plymouth module and it works but when it came to choose the "details" option it never worked until I removed "quiet splash" from the grub file. This is a bug because on KDE Debian Buster the changes were flawless.

On the other side, I still can't make the SystemD output smaller. I've used Manjaro Debian, and Arch, and only Kubuntu comes with annoying big fonts.

Comment

No more answers/tips?

I ran the command dmesg on the terminal and the output is helpful but it fails to show me the output I want.
                It doesn't show this message I'm looking for: "A start job is running for dev--SomethingSomething"

This message is making Kubuntu extremely slow on boot.
                I can not read the output because the fonts on SystemD are too freaking big!!
                The output goes fast but I can at least read some of it when the font is not that big!!

That's the reason I prefer details/text over Plymouth Themes..

Comment

Try
                  dmesg -T >dmesg.txt
                  Then open dmesg.txt with Kate (or any text editor) and you can Ctrl-f to find things.

Also, I'm not sure what the SystemD output is, but if you edit /etc/default/grub, you'll see a line with
                  GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
                  Try increasing the resolution, to say 800x600, and updating grub.

Comment

Working...
                  X