Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MULTI BOOT] Where should I install the bootloader?

I'm using GPT/UEFI and planning on having three distros on it.

I already have the partitions in place. FAT32 & EXT4.

I plan on mounting the boot on /boot/efi
    But during the installation I got asked where I want the bootloader to be?

I have two options SDA (Whole Disk) or SDA1 (FAT32- EFI Partition)

Before Kubuntu I tried installing Sparky Linux Bootloader on SDA1 but after installation it gave errors. I installed the bootloader on SDA and it worked. I didn't like Sparky Linux so I installed Kubuntu again but this time I installed it on SDA instead od SDA1 but the bootloader doesn't show up anything. When I turn on my laptop I expected the Grub showing up but I get a black screen and after some time Kubuntu starts.

Unlike my previous MBR/BIOS mode the GPT/UEFI is slow to boot..

Using GPT/UEFI, it should definitely go on sda1,

"Slow to boot"... could mean many things.
    And there are obviously ways to address them, with some more information.

Comment

GPT with UEFI generally indicates installing boot files to the ESP, wherever that hjas been setup (usually /dev/sda1).
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

But during the installation I got asked where I want the bootloader to be?
        That suggests to me you've booted the install media in BIOS/MBR mode. IIUC that's an MBR question.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

No, the installer will have a Grub section at the bottom no matter what how the system boots (which is of course confusing). It needs to know where to put grub if it is using an MBR, as it can go to the drive's MBR , or to the partition's , if desired - useful for some multi-boot situations. In UEFI mode, the Grub goes to the EFI partition no matter what.

The only reason to change the setting is if you are installing to a removable USB stick, or have multiple EFI partitions on different drives, and want to have a particular one used. Otherwise, you just leave it alone. All your OS installs can use the same EFI.

Comment

Working...
          X