Black screen with blinking cursor at boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen with blinking cursor at boot

Hello everyone, I have a problem and I'm not sure how to solve it.

I have just installed kubuntu 19.04. At boot I first see the kubuntu logo, then the screen turns black with a blinking cursor and that's it, nothing more. When pressing ctrl+alt+f2, I can login with my user and start the x server.
    First I thought I had to update nvidia drivers, so I downloaded them from the nvidia website but the installation get stuck at 5 percent. (I even tried to let it install overnight).

So I'm quite stuck, and I'd love your help ! Have a nice day!

My setup :
    Dual screen, GTX 970
    i5 4690k

Hello,

First, it is my first post here, so I don't really know if posting in someone else's post is fine. If not, I apologize and will create another one.

I have a similar problem, even with the latest driver from the graphics PPA (430.40).
    If the nvidia profile is selected (prime-select nvidia), then I cannot reach the SDDM login screen.
    The nvidia module is well loaded though, I can see it using lsmod. What bothers me is that I cannot access the nvidia-settings in a tty, and when I try using the intel profile I can just see the Prime Profile selection options.

It is very weird and I tried almost everything I could find on the internet.

To be noted:

- My computer is a laptop - HP Omen 15
    - It has both an Intel HD Graphics and a nvidia 1050 dedicated GPU.
    - Kubuntu 19.04 with backports for Plasma 5.16
    - Linux kernel 5.0.0-25

Comment

Working...
    X