Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korganizer events fail to register in Google Calendar. Google Calendar syncs OK. fix?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Korganizer events fail to register in Google Calendar. Google Calendar syncs OK. fix?

I have a peculiar problem.
    When I add a new entry to Google Calendar in a browser or in my Android cellphone, it quickly updates KOrganizer running in KDE Neon,
    In contrast, new entries to KOrganizer on my desktop machine do not show in Google calendar.

I tried reinstalling Kontact and Korganizer. I tried deleting and adding back the link for Google Calendar in KOrganizer.
    I used Muon to add libraries for KOganizer that had any mention of calendar in them. (I was "inspired" by an entry here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=232823 )
    Nothing worked to change the failure of KOrganizer entries to register in Google Calendar.

A workaround is to make all new entries through Google Calendar either in my Firefox browser or in Google Calendar on my Android cellphone.
    I don't like that as I want KOrganizer and eventually Kontact to be primary.

In one place I looked someone mentioned using KWallet was important. I've not used KWallet and don't know why I should, but if it is important I will adopt it's use.

Previously, I had a different issue when I mistakenly disabled KOrganizer on the same machine entirely. See https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...oogle+calendar

At that time I was able to rebuild KOrganizer on my desktop by copying entries from KOrganizer on my laptop, an Asus Transformer 3 Pro. Unfortunately, the Asus T3P is in the shop with a swollen battery as I await word whether that issue and other aspects can be repaired. KOrganizer on the T3P synced both directions, if I recall correctly.
    Neon 18.04.1 User on desktop and on Asus Transformer 3 Pro laptop

my opinion, based on at least 5 years of battling with kontact, is that there are two different types of kontact users: ones for whom it works with no problems at all, and they can't figure out what everybody's so hyper about, and one for whom it works, SORT OF, at best. my impression is that much of this debate also revolves about the relative usefulness, or not, of akonadi.

unfortunately, i fall into the second category of users, personally, and the only recommendations i have are the ones that have been offered to me, which have been to try thunderbird. i have. i couldn't get it to import my mail from my local machine, and i couldn't get any help from the thunderbird mailing list, so i am still using kontact... and it still works, SORT OF (if i do everything right, it won't crash. so far, today, i haven't done everything right. maybe tomorrow).
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Comment

Hi
      przxqql has basically "hit the nail on the head".

There are I don't know how many threads on this in the archived dungeon.
      I, personally, have written literally dozens and dozens of them.
      It took a few years for me to actually verify, without being able to verify, that Microshaft and Google really DO NO WANT anyone using an "external" mail client or calendering client.
      And that is because, so they think, that they won't make money by "eyes" on, with the adverts that are on the sides of stuff in their apps or not there IF ONE PAYS FOR THE APP.

As to AKONADAI, yes "it| can "break" but "it" is not the real problem. The developers at Adonadai have to deal with "SNEAKY" things that Google and Microsith do within their own stuff and thus Akonadai, which worked one day, does not work the next.

AGAIN, yes, Akonadai can "break" but it is mostly a problem with those two monstrosities...

AND THE PROOF OF THAT? It is hard to verify but there are ALWAYS people who say..."hey, I have to work this business and Akonadai works fine, Somebody who is running THEIR OWN e-mail client, etc..

Although I ranted and railed at Microsith, Google really is the worst becuase it is all on the "net" while Microsith still has to deal with physical installs on machines.

Literally, what they BOTH did was "change some little thing" and what worked before on a client, in the space of one day, with no notice, does not work.

If one actually could look at all of the previous posts in the dungeon one would see that a port has suddenly changed, or there is a change from SLS to START/TLS or whatever.

However, the situation with Microshaft has changed FOR THE BETTER, if one is interacting with a LARGE COMMERCIAL operation. In my particular situation it is a college.

the thing that has driven this change, as best as I can determine, is the HACKING that is going on by who know who of large businesses and holding their data for ransom.

Quite simply, a lot of that has happened because of e-mail. Simple things like the not so simple "Steganography", which is placing malware in an image that is activated upon clicking the image.

Sooooooooo...to that end... a lot of "big businesses" have move to 'the Microssludge cloud"...

And that is a GOOD THING...because it puts all of the INCOMING stuff at "one remove" from the company, or college, itself.

So, again, to finish this off...

The college went to Microsoft Cloud for ALL of the e-mail, calendaring etc.

Suddenly, Kontact did not work, the REGUAR WAY of adding STMP etc. and authentication, did not work

I called the college IT, they KNOW THAT I RUN UBUNTU...and the "old bunch" DID NOT LIKE IT...but a new guy said...Hey...the college is PAYING MICROSOFT A TON OF MONEY to take ALL of this off our hands...

MS cloud will figure out if something is bad, or malware, or whatever and THEY ARE MAKING SO MUCH MONEY that they DO NOT CARE about you running Ubuntu.

So...just do this...and it is all done...

I did that and Kontact, WHEN AKONADAI is not broken works fine with the college.

BUt, it still has problems with Google...

a) part of the problem with Google is the "two factor" security. Akonadai just 'has a problem with it, because Google CREATES the problem.

So, if you have two factor security then maybe change to single but Google really DOES NOT WANT you to do that...

b) I NEVER did two factor stuff with Google and I can "sometimes" get it to work and sometimes not...

THAT may be Akonadai, but...actually...

This last few months I have KIND OF came to the conclusion that it is SOMETIMES Kwallet...

In fact, if I was not busy with other stuff, I had decided to post such a few weeks ago.

One of the "problems" with Kwallet, and I have posted about this before, is the "BREVITY" OF THE INSTRUCTIONS...

This is in part because of "that is the way it has to be to look DIGNIFIED" and part of it is left over brevity of code itself.

Kwallet can, therefore, ask for one thing and you give it another without knowing that you gave it the wrong information.

You can have a password for say...Gmail which you THHOUGHT that you put into Kwallet for Gmail and actually it was for Kwallet, or vice versa.

So, if you actually DID try to enable Kwallet, come back and holler and someone can give you instructions for how to clear it and then go back through the setup.

BUT... that requires ...believe this or not... deleting an account "on Akonadai / Kmail" and then REestablishing it so that one can go through the correct steps with Kwallet.

But, you said that you did not do it so that is probably not the situation for you.

If this has been of ANY help at all, please come back and visit and we MIGHT be able to get this working for you.

wood glad that you asked the question smoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X