Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pragha music player w excellent file structure support.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pragha music player w excellent file structure support.

Since Pragha is not specifically for KDE / Kubuntu I did not put it there in the audio subforum. If a moderator wants to move this post somewhere else, permission is hereby given.

I will not get into a detailed description of Pragha and it is not my "new shiney bauble" I use Kaffein and PMC normally but I am always trying out new stuff and testing it's limits.

A) It is a music player plain and simple, not a "video" player.
    B) It really has played all of the music files that it lists on it's website.
    C) This is a "biggie", the developer has not moved up one step to actually PLAYING a cd. The website says that it PLAYS cds but it does not, it does what almost all other music players that are "starting out" it copies a track, one track at a time to: / .cache / kioexec / krun / a number / name of track a 2 min and 53 second track DISPLAYS as needing to take... ten (10 ) hours !! But then is ready in 4 minutes 3 seconds.

If one does not set Pragha as a default player one cannot navigate to the cd and "just get it to play by clicking" One must click a track, however, ALL of the other subfiles of the cd are shown, such as .ogg, .wav, etc. Thus one can, indeed, get the files from the cd that one wants by merely clicking it and the Pragha copies to the above.

HOWEVER, given that, and jumping ahead to "scanning the library", upon a rescan of the library, a new folder is produced labled with the above file structure, it is sub-foldered, but it is there. One can then drag it to the playlist and then save it to another convenient location.

More General information:

D) It uses the system colours so it is compatible with Kubuntu appearance wise, but... since the default color has is dark in the boxes of things like start / stop / play / etc, the letters which are black are hard to see.
    There is an option to NOT use system colours but I am not going to fiddle with it now, I MAY so do and come back with a reply about them.
    E) It has all of the "normal controls and functions" of a "simple" music player.
    F) It has a functioning equalizer
    G) It is fully integrated with the panel and can be seen as the playing device to be controlled therefrom. HOWEVER, it does not work through the panel to be controlled by an Android through KDE Connect.
    H) It has a fullscreen mode but it does not have the really skinny folating "bar" with controls.
    I ) It has a "statistics" function but it seems to apply only to the presently playing folder, I may be wrong on that.
    J) It SAYS that it displays an album cover in the left panel but it does not.

K) The fellow has a LOT of people helping him with translations, as of now it has been translated into...THIRTEEN ( 13 ) languages!

Even though when one looks at the website it seems as if this is "just an exercise" to get through a master's degree, the mere presence of all those translations would... ...SEEM to me that he is serious about making it an "contendah" as Rocky would say.

THE MAIN STRENGTH of the player is the one that is most usually taken as a given.

The left panel holds the file structure of EVERY FOLDER on the computer that has a "music" file in it., INCLUDING the copied track as aforementioned.

And it is done automagically the first time when one is asked to scan for music. Each time one might put a new music track of some kind on the computer and rescans, the file is there immediately and in it's proper place in the "tree" of the folder.

For the "audiophile" there is a very small little down arrow at the top of the left panel and the default word next to it is "folders structure" which is what one sees after the first scan. All of the music files are there in their folders.

BUT...clicking that little arrow produces... well...a kind of "bewildering" variety of ways that, with one click, one can rearrange the files.

Here is a listing of the options that are seen in the left panel.

expand library
    collapse library
    Folders Structure
    artist
    album
    genre
    artist / album
    genre / artist
    genre / album
    genre / artist / album

And it does the switching around instantly, with the fifty odd files that I have onboard, with just a click!

Playlists are REALLY, REALLY simple to make and manipulate.

MAKING a playlist is just as simple as "dragging a folder from the left panel into the playlist panel" and the folder does not appear the SONGS appear! One can sort them manually by dragging them or one can delete, etc.

SAVING a playlist is as simple as right clicking in the playlist panel and choosing to save it or export it. One is given a balloon to enter a title, when one does that and closes it automatically appears in the left panel.

So, here is my summary:

1 ) the appearance integrates well with Kubuntu colour scheme

2) it has EXCELLENT file structure support, one can navigate quickly to whatever one wants to play that is ON the computer.

3) one can sort in a variety of ways with a simple click.

4) making aplaylist is dead simple.

5) I really have never understood the description of "liteweight" in terms of even computers ten years ago. By definition, unless one has a jillion files in the music folder, ALL music players are "liteweight".

In light of that, what I will say is that it is "snappy in it's response for anything to do anything with files".

So, yeah, one could say that it is just "another music player" and "not a full featured one at that" ( In terms of the features of Amarok or Strawberry ) but, the file structure and making of playlists is a SO SIMPLE that, to the old woodsmoker it would seem to be... well..

a kind of "go to music player" as in Dragnet's Joe Friday..."just the facts m'am just the facts"... it plays music, easily and simply,
    There is a website at github;

http://pragha-music-player.github.io/

As usual, if anyone has questions or comments, please ask.

WoodusesKaffeinmostlybutlikesPraghasmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 14, 2019, 10:59 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!
Working...
X