This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA Linux Driver 430.40 released Monday July 29, 2019

Why am I using an outdated driver? Muon only lists the 418.56-0ubuntu1. Is it simply that the Ubuntu devs are working on the package or what? Seems like mid-August should have been plenty of time unless something unexpected came up. I ask because Space Engineers complained that my NVIDIA driver was old. I am playing via wine so it could be down to a configuration issue. Space engineers and Midival Engineers has been a huge thorn for wine/proton for years. What is the status on the NVIDIA driver in the official Ubuntu 19.04 repos?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

I think the only way your getting that driver any time soon is to add this PPA
    https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa

I'v been on it for a bit now , the 430.40 driver that is .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I used the PPA to get the driver. I rebooted then used drivermanager to see what was running. I saw that the xorg driver was in use so I selected the 435 recommended driver. It looked like it installed but when it finished it said I was using the xorg driver still. I tried to reboot and the rebooot crashed. I will use a konsel and force a reboot.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

you will want to remove the old driver first and then install the new .

you may be on the xorg driver because nether the old or new nvidia drivers are installed correctly yet .

if you see your using "xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" thats good , for now if you can boot using that , remove --purge both of the half installed nvidia drivers then install the one you want .

Code:
        dpkg -l | grep nvidia
        will show whats installed "ii" and whats residual configs "rc" .

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

When switching between Nvidia drivers, especially using the PPAs, it can often help to run
          Code:
          sudo apt autoremove
          to remove any stray bits of the driver being replaced. Often this is enough, and rebooting should show the new driver in use. It is what I have always had to do when using Nvidia, until I recently decided to go AMD for less hassles.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            When switching between Nvidia drivers, especially using the PPAs, it can often help to run
            Code:
            sudo apt autoremove
            to remove any stray bits of the driver being replaced. Often this is enough, and rebooting should show the new driver in use. It is what I have always had to do when using Nvidia, until I recently decided to go AMD for less hassles.
            adding --purge to that will take the configs as well ,,,, or most of them

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

autoremove did remove a few things but upon rebooting drivermanager shows the Nauvoo driver in use. When I click on the recommended driver and then apply it just refreshes the list and doesn't appear to change anything.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                adding --purge to that will take the configs as well ,,,, or most of them

VINNY
                Likely not necessary, but definitely does not hurt
                For me, it was always stray library packages which were causing the conflicts that kept the proprietary driver from loading. Nothing that involved any configs or anything like that.

Comment

install, remove, purge (apt-get(8)) Performs the requested action on one or more packages specified via regex(7), glob(7)
                  or exact match. The requested action can be overridden for specific packages by append
                  a plus (+) to the package name to install this package or a minus (-) to remove it.

A specific version of a package can be selected for installation by following the
                  package name with an equals (=) and the version of the package to select.
                  Alternatively the version from a specific release can be selected by following the
                  package name with a forward slash (/) and codename (jessie, stretch, sid ...) or suite
                  name (stable, testing, unstable). This will also select versions from this release for
                  dependencies of this package if needed to satisfy the request.

Removing a package removes all packaged data, but leaves usually small (modified) user
                  configuration files behind, in case the remove was an accident. Just issuing an
                  installation request for the accidentally removed package will restore its function as
                  before in that case. On the other hand you can get rid of these leftovers by calling
                  purge even on already removed packages. Note that this does not affect any data or
                  configuration stored in your home directory.

Note the italicized and underlined last sentence. When a package is installed, its default configuration(s) file(s) ARE NOT written to the users home directory. When running such an installed app in its default state, the configuration it needs is read from the default files. When the application is subsequently configured by the user, the modified configuration file(s) are written to the users /home directory. It's because of this, that upgrading ones OS but keeping the /home directory intact, often can result in problems with those applications, as while the application might be included in the OS upgrade, and thus, bring in it's new configuration file(s), the app will still use the modified file(s) in the users /home, and those might not be compatible with the upgraded app.

When one wants to remove an installed app completely; remove ALL of its pieces; you will also need to remove any parts that were written to your /home directory. The purge option of apt doesn't do that.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                    autoremove did remove a few things but upon rebooting drivermanager shows the Nauvoo driver in use. When I click on the recommended driver and then apply it just refreshes the list and doesn't appear to change anything.
                    you may half to log out /back in or reboot for the changes to take hold

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

I can not get the driver to work and I also can not find anything in /$HOME that looks like a video config file.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        you may half to log out /back in or reboot for the changes to take hold

VINNY
                        I always reboot after trying a system change. It just isn't working. Perhaps something got borked?

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                          I can not get the driver to work and I also can not find anything in /$HOME that looks like a video config file.
                          show me the output of
                          Code:
                          dpkg -l | grep nvidia
                          and you are still on the "xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" yes -no

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

I tried the 430 driver to and that was a no-go too.

Comment

steve7233@steve7233-Z68XP-UD3:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
                              ii libnvidia-cfg1-430:amd64 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library
                              ii libnvidia-common-430 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 all Shared files used by the NVIDIA libraries
                              ii libnvidia-common-435 435.21-0ubuntu0~19.04.1~gpu0 all Shared files used by the NVIDIA libraries
                              rc libnvidia-compute-418:amd64 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 Transitional package for libnvidia-compute-430
                              ii libnvidia-compute-430:amd64 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA libcompute package
                              ii libnvidia-compute-430:i386 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 i386 NVIDIA libcompute package
                              rc libnvidia-compute-435:amd64 435.21-0ubuntu0~19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA libcompute package
                              ii libnvidia-decode-430:amd64 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA Video Decoding runtime libraries
                              ii libnvidia-decode-430:i386 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 i386 NVIDIA Video Decoding runtime libraries
                              ii libnvidia-encode-430:amd64 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVENC Video Encoding runtime library
                              ii libnvidia-encode-430:i386 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 i386 NVENC Video Encoding runtime library
                              ii libnvidia-fbc1-430:amd64 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library
                              ii libnvidia-fbc1-430:i386 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 i386 NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library
                              ii libnvidia-gl-430:amd64 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES GLVND libraries and Vulkan ICD
                              ii libnvidia-gl-430:i386 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 i386 NVIDIA OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES GLVND libraries and Vulkan ICD
                              ii libnvidia-ifr1-430:amd64 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library
                              ii libnvidia-ifr1-430:i386 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 i386 NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library
                              ii nvidia-compute-utils-430 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA compute utilities
                              rc nvidia-compute-utils-435 435.21-0ubuntu0~19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA compute utilities
                              ii nvidia-dkms-430 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA DKMS package
                              rc nvidia-dkms-435 435.21-0ubuntu0~19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA DKMS package
                              ii nvidia-driver-430 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA driver metapackage
                              ii nvidia-kernel-common-430 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 Shared files used with the kernel module
                              rc nvidia-kernel-common-435 435.21-0ubuntu0~19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 Shared files used with the kernel module
                              ii nvidia-kernel-source-430 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA kernel source package
                              ii nvidia-prime 0.8.10 all Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
                              ii nvidia-settings 418.56-0ubuntu1 amd64 Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
                              ii nvidia-utils-430 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA driver support binaries
                              ii xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-430 430.50-0ubuntu0.19.04.1~gpu0 amd64 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver

So why didn't the purge get rid of those?

Comment

Working...
                              X