This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MULTI BOOT] Windows 10 and Kubuntu 18.04

I have recently acquired a new laptop with windows 10 already install, configured and running. I would like to install Kubuntu 18.04 on the machine, and have the option a boot to select which system to start. I have never done this before. If I have understood correctly, the 18.04 install program will detect the existence of windows, and allow me to install kubuntu along side, and grub will be configured to allow the selection. Are there any Gotchas, or heads up that I should be aware of before I start the process?

Thanks for your time.

William
    Programmers, with their inbuilt sense of order and discipline should really be running the world.

I'm on the run right now, William, just let me drop a link to my how-to article outlining what I did in your situation. Your laptop is new, so it will boot by the new UEFI firmware (like a BIOS but not a BIOS):

Dual Boot Your Existing Windows 8/10 with Kubuntu

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post418607

There's lots of folks here who can also help out with more specifics and such.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yes, if you run the installer, it will do just that. Grub sets up booting either Windows or Linux automatically.
      You don't have to do any preparation work at all, unless you want to, but for a first-timer, I recommend doing it the easy way, and let the installer do the work.
      Any prep work such as resizing to make space ahead of time is fine, but it does add a number of extra steps that, in the Ubuntu installer tool we use, is confusing and not all that clear up front.
      All you need is free space for the OS, and an EFI partition. The Installer will shrink your Windows to make the space, and you already have the EFI partition, as Windows needs this as well.

https://linuxhint.com/install_kubuntu_1804/
      This is an up to date how-to with images, though I would suggest skipping over most of the top section and go right to the actual installation steps. Rufus is a good USB tool, but I am not sure I like the settings used in the tutorial.
      I, and many others here, recommend using Balena Etcher to make the USB stick, Super simple and ultra reliable, with no settings needed to be tweaked.

Any real gotchas may be dependant on your specific hardware specs, so giving us your make, model, gpu, and cpu might be useful in this regard.

Comment

As other have said it should work but if you read my thread https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...int-to-Kubuntu you'll see I failed miserably albeit on older hardware. And I already has a Linux on my system.

Comment

Working...
        X