Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My adrenaline level rises and hands start shaking when I use the "ROOT" account on my system, but I had no other choice but to use it. :-) :-)

I ran the following commands. (But made the backup of these files first)
    Code:
    #mv /etc/mono/config.dpkg-new /etc/mono/config
    #apt update -y --force-yes
    #apt upgrade
    #apt --fix-broken install
    I'm pasting the output of the last command below, it might help the linux community, not sure, but I'm pasting anyway.
    https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/Qwf9Nt8HjS/

And thanks again claydoh everything seems to work again. This is the reason I love Linux and Linux community.

And thanks everyone who tried to help me.

However I noticed that when I used the sudo -i command I got access to root account without any need for password. Is my root account unlocked? If it is unlocked how can I lock it back. I dont want the root to be unlocked.
    Any help on this?

Comment

After you use sudo -i, enter
      Code:
      exit
      That brings you back to your "normal" user. It's usually not necessary to run sudo -i as simply running sudo <some command> will elevate permissions long enough to run multiple commands before being returned to normal.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        After you use sudo -i, enter
        Code:
        exit
        That brings you back to your "normal" user. It's usually not necessary to run sudo -i as simply running sudo <some command> will elevate permissions long enough to run multiple commands before being returned to normal.
        Yes you are correct but sometimes this doesn't work, if the owner and group of a file is "ROOT". This happened when I tried to run
        Code:
        sudo mv /etc/mono/config.dpkg-new /etc/mono/config
        As the owner and group for this file is root. The same is true if you want to check (out of curiosity, like I did) what's inside the /boot/efi/.

But there is no problem with # access, as you can freely roam around anywhere in your system, so I think there is a difference between using sudo and #. I'm still not sure if my root account is unlocked or not. How can I check and lock it back if it is unlocked? Thanks.. :-)

Comment

Working...
        X