X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Libreoffice stopped working

Hello there,

I am running Kubuntu Bionic and used to have Libreoffice version 6.2.5. Everything was running smoothly until late but recently I can not start any Libreoffice program. So I have uninstalled it in the following way:

sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoremove

Then I deleted Libreoffice PPA and installed the official Bionic version of Libreoffice which is 6.0.7 from Discover. Again, I can not open anything. I tried running libreoffice from terminal but I am getting just the following error:

user@machine:~$ libreoffice
    /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libmergedlo.so: undefined symbol: _ZN11LanguageTagD1Ev

Can anybody please help?

You may have to remove some dirs that may have been left behind try, so following all the steps you've done again, and also deleting the leftover dir as described here, in the second comment.
    https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/quest...agetagc1erks_/

Code:
    sudo apt purge libreoffice*
    sudo apt autoremove
    sudo rm -rf   /usr/lib/libreoffice/
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install libreoffice libreoffice-kde (<<< optional)
    That directory should not be there to begin with, after purging, unless something is in it that isn't part of the installed packages, or on the list of what's installed

Also, if you haven't, make sure you update the package database before installing any new packages, especially if you manually removed the PPA, as opposed to using ppa-purge. This tool is the recommended and safest way to remove a PPA, as it does all the steps, plus it downgrades you back to the original, stock packages.

Comment

Or you can just download the Appimage version and use that instead as it has all needed dependencies.

Comment

Thanks claydoh, I tried but it was not working.

Thanks oldgeek but Appimage is not a solution for me.

Finally though, I have managed to get a working version of Libreoffice by downloading the DEBS from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ and installing the DEBS with:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

I just wonder how are the updates going to work.
        Last edited by henshu70; Aug 03, 2019, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by henshu70 View Post
          Finally though, I have managed to get a working version of Libreoffice by downloading the DEBS from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ and installing the DEBS with:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

I just wonder how are the updates going to work.
          IIUC they won't, you'd have to keep checking the site for newer versions.

I suggest you consider the method referred to in a post I made in June.

You don't know what borked your LibreOffice; so it might happen again. That method keeps versions apart so you can have several at once.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
          X