This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-Virus programs for 18.04 ?

Are there anti-virus programs for Kubuntu 18.04?
    Something like CCleaner would be perfect.

Thanks
    G
    Greg
    W9WD

CCleaner isn't an anti-virus. The closest thing to CCleaner is Bleachbit (at least what I'm aware of, but I didn't do much searching after I found Bleachbit), which is what I use.

However, I have noticed that GUI hangs (it's GTK) after so long (won't launch in GUI at all), if you haven't done a reboot. I've set all my cleaning settings to a bash script and just run that when I need to.
    Last edited by WWDERW; Aug 01, 2019, 07:06 AM.
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Not antivirus, but a cleaner like CCleaner (which I used to use in Windows) is Bleachbit, which I've been using without problems for a long time, through 18.04:

https://www.bleachbit.org/

Reviews/opinions:
      https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Experts here may tell you that you probably do not really need anti-virus, per se.

Bleachbit is in your Muon listing.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

fyi, I've had no problems with hangings, like WWDERW. YMMV! Re-boots are usually always a good idea(for your entire system, IMO) once in a while, anyway, which I do perhaps once every 1-2 weeks or so.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm not seeing a listing in downloads for any Kubuntu offerings.
          Do I use the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) version?
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            fyi, I've had no problems with hangings, like WWDERW. YMMV! Re-boots are usually always a good idea(for your entire system, IMO) once in a while, anyway, which I do perhaps once every 1-2 weeks or so.
            I do a total shutdown once a week, overnight and then boot back up.

Typically after 3 days of use, the GUI on Bleachbit starts to hang and now want to load.

Now, something may be going on with some of my hardware that I need to tweak settings. I've had to disable some graphics stuff (such as kwin) as they were unstable and that may have affected stability of other programs (although this is the only GTK program that has had this issue).
            Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

I shut down every night at about 9pm and boot back up around 5am the next morning.
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                I'm not seeing a listing in downloads for any Kubuntu offerings.
                Do I use the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) version?
                Yes, you choose the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) one.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Got it installed and ran it. We'll see what happens next.
                  Any tips for using it?
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

Bleachbit should be listed in your Muon Package Manager.

Can't remember when or how I set up Bleachbit, but I probably checked their site for any tips/examples; and when open Bleachbit and click on a category or an item on the left panel, you see its definition(s) and possibly tips or warnings listed on the right panel.

This is how I've got it set up for now. Not saying this is optimal, though, just haven't had time to re-visit it lately. I tend to be very careful with any cleaner, generally just cleaning stuff that is clearly safe to clean. I'm listing each category I see on the left panel (when I open Bleachbit), then under that I list the items I checked to be cleaned -->

APT:
                    clean
                    package lists

BASH:
                    History

Chromium:
                    I checked everything listed.

Deep Scan:
                    I checked nothing here.

Firefox:
                    I checked everything listed.

journald:
                    Didn't check anything here because I'm not sure I know what this is, without researching it, which I don't have time for at the moment.

KDE:
                    Cache
                    Recent Documents
                    Temporary Files

Libre Office:
                    Cache
                    History

System:
                    Broken Desktop Files
                    Cache
                    Clipboard
                    Recent Documents

Thumbnails:
                    Cache

Thunderbird:
                    I have everything checked.

VLC Media Player:
                    Most recently used

X11:
                    I didn't check anything here.

Sometimes, something might not clean. Examples might be Clipboard. The History doesn't clean (Under K > History). But these are easy to clean (= delete) manually without having to dig deep.

Comment

btw, fwiw, miscellany: I keep my PC on all the time, unless it starts doing weird stuff or slows down, then I re-boot, perhaps re-booting 1-4 times a month or so. Or I shutdown during a thunderous lightening storm.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        btw, fwiw, miscellany: I keep my PC on all the time, unless it starts doing weird stuff or slows down, then I re-boot, perhaps re-booting 1-4 times a month or so. Or I shutdown during a thunderous lightening storm.
                        Same here, laptop though.
                        Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 01, 2019, 10:44 PM.
                        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I shut mine down every night. The PC is actually very quiet, but it has two blue lighted front fans, and when the room lights are off the fans are annoyingly bright
                          The next brick house on the left
                          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I just had to come out of retirement in order to post what I've learned about BleachBit.

An FBI document obtained under a FOIA legal proceedings has a paragraph in which the FBI states that they
                            https://aclj.org/government-corrupti...th-federal-law
                            According to the DOJ OIG, access to these “culling laptops” – the ones on which the Clinton Team used “BleachBit”:
                            "was particularly important to ensure the completeness of the investigation. All 62,320 emails pulled from the Clinton servers were stored at one time on these laptops, so access to the laptops offered the possibility of reconstructing a large number of the deleted emails through digital forensics."

BleachBit is open source and free, and uses another open source and free technology: CleanerML. Wikipedia states:
                            In August 2016, Republican U.S. Congressman Trey Gowdy announced that he had seen notes from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), taken during an investigation of Hillary Clinton's emails, that stated that Clinton's staff had used BleachBit to delete emails from her private server.[13][14] After the announcement, BleachBit's company website reportedly received increased traffic.
                            The "staff" that Goudy referred to was the lone owner of Platte River Networks, who ran Clinton's "clintonemail.com" email server. After Hillary received the Congressional subpoena requesting the HD, she or someone on her staff ordered the PRN admin guy to destroy the data on the drives. Given that the FBI was able to recover ALL 62,320 emails from the "cleaned" drive suggests that using a hammer and pounding the drives into dust would be a better method of securing the data on them from prying eyes. It is also obvious that the FBI was able to determine how many emails were on the drive.

It is also obvious that the FBI has some pretty hot computer forensics tools at their disposal.

Lesson: Perhaps BleachBit isn't the kind of protection from prying eyes that folks are looking for. Maybe they have a gov back door?
                            Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 02, 2019, 01:53 PM.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It's not that BleachBit is so incapable, it's that computer forensics have gotten MUCH better. A single pass deletion method is never complete. You need to have something that shifts the write heads a small amount each time a deletion/wipe program is in a multi-run deletion activity to catch all the magnetic domains in a block on a block device. Even then, it may not wipe a drive completely.

Invite the Hulk over, give him a BFH, and ask him to go to town on the hard drive. Then mix the dust into a batch of concrete and dump it in the ocean.
                              The next brick house on the left
                              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
                              X