This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't seem to setup gmail on kmail

Just installed kubuntu 19.04 yesterday, and trying to setup the kmail email client, but keep running into roadblocks...

No matter which way I try, i ultimately end up with a message that the application is not approved for use on google, so sign-in isn't allowed. I hate the gmail web interface, and would like to use an email client. Could this be because I have gmail set to not allow connections from less secured apps? If so, I may just try a different client all together.

I can't help you with kmail but I can recommend Thunderbird.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

The issue, as I understand it, is KMail is a 32-bit application and not considered ‘secure’ by Google, so it won’t permit it being recognized.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 28, 2019, 06:20 AM. Reason: correction
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

32 bit? Not for most people.

This is a possible fix:
        https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...kmail_kontact/
        The account wizard may be getting the auth setting wrong.

I reinstalled Kontact, and I had an account already set up in it from some time ago, and didn't have any issues connecting, I'll try starting from scratch to check.

Yup, mine works fine.

Digging a little, the only way you can even get to the "less secure app access" or 'more secure apps" is when you don't have 2-Factor Authentication enabled on the account.
        https://support.google.com/accounts/.../6010255?hl=en
        if you have 2fa enabled on your google account, you probably won't get this problem, as the 'less secure app access' option is only available for those who don't use 2-Factor Authentication.
        Using 2fa is much more secure. Of course, if you don't have another device like a phone or tablet, then you can't use it.
        Last edited by claydoh; Jul 27, 2019, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I don't have 2fa enabled, but I turned off all access for "Less secure apps" I think I'll just go with Thunderbird, because I'm still VERY new to Linux, and already having issues with my new Linux install. I installed alongside Windows with the intentions of very slowly migrating away from Windows. Admittedly, that's going to take quite some time to happen.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by jasoncollege24 View Post
            I think I'll just go with Thunderbird
            You'll have similar difficulties getting any email client to talk to gmail. You've made no mention of the phrase "App passwords", which makes me suspect that you've used your google account password, which won't be accepted. If that's the case, (or for someone else finding this thread), to connect any email client:
            1. go to your "google account"; you can click your "photo" on google.com, or go to https://account.google.com/
            2. click the security tab
            3. click App passwords
            4. select either "select app" or "select device", choose Other and input something meaningful to you, f.ex. "kubuntu" or "jasons".
            5. click generate, and note the password given
            6. set up the email client, using that password. Be prepared for whatever 2FA you've set up to kick into action asking for confirmation that it's you. Likely, this means having your phone handy.

I liked kmail but it wanted to sync all my archived mail, over a decade's worth and many GB, to Kubuntu. Thunderbird starts to do that too, but you can stop it and change the synchronization settings. With the "External Editor" add-on Thunderbird is quite passable for me.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

With the more secure 2fa you may not need to use app passwords. I don't have one for kmail, and haven't had any app passwords at all for some time now. I use my Google account password with kmail

Of course I am sure that this may be happening for everyone.

I think the OP may not want to or can't use 2fa perhaps?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sound like: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404990
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Hi to ALL.
                  This has been a VERY interesting thread and I would like to gently suggest that it might be made a sticky or summarized in some way to be put into a single post and stickied.

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I see mention of App passwords, and 2fa. I don't use 2fa on my account. I just have a very secure password that I change every so often. I get a prompt on my phone, asking if it was me, but i don't need to confirm it in order to login, and use the account.

2fa is not a factor for me.

Comment

https://www.dvratil.cz/2019/08/konta...gration-issue/
                      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thank you acheron. That's good information.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks! This is likely the cause of my problem, so instead, I will just wait.

Comment

I have the same problem. Using TB now until the problem is fixed with google.

Comment

Here are my settings, and it does not work if you want to skip on to another reply.

But there IS A CURIOUS THING that has appeared about authentication.

SSL/TLS
                              port 993
                              authentication Gmail

I went to change authentication to PLAIN it was in GMAIL, I changed to PLAIN did the autodetect and it changed it back to GMAIL.

it rejected the password

in the sending tab:"

STARTTLS
                              port 587
                              PLAIN

When clicks auodeterct it tries and then changes the password back to GMAIL

But it still does not work.

I do not have their dual thing

And, I can't believe that I have, yet again, wasted time on this. If I added up the total hours I have fiddled with Google and Kontact it would be in the DAYS... 24 hour days... grr...

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X