Baloo Indexer Causing Plasma Reset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baloo Indexer Causing Plasma Reset?

I have an issue that crops up occasionally in which the baloo file indexer basically deadlocks the system (100% CPU) and it becomes unoperable on startup.

Using balooctl disable and using Ctrl + Print Sc + REISUB (With appropriate time spacing between keys)

However, this resets plasmashell and I get the default desktop again.

Restoring from a backup of the .config folder fixes the issue, but is it well known what's happening? How could I fix something like this? Do I need to file a bug report?

Originally posted by PhysicistSarah View Post
    Do I need to file a bug report?
    It's free!

Your bug could be
    • a valuable contribution or
    • a duplicate or, rarely,
    • just be ignored

In any case, you've done your bit
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Filed the report

Comment

I've had this, on Bionic I think. I isolated it to a corrupt baloo index file. IIRC a bug had been filed, and I offered to provide the corrupt file, but I was not asked for it.

The two files are in ~/.local/share/baloo/; delete them and they will be recreated.

Unless you use the file content searching in dolphin i suggest unchecking system settings->search->file search->also index file content. If you don't use search in dolphin at all, uncheck enable file search to stop baloo running, as many here in this forum would advise.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Hmm, sounds like baloo has had quite the reputation.

I would have thought that a search indexer wouldn't have so many problems, or if it did another project would have started to rectify them.

Comment

Originally posted by PhysicistSarah View Post
            Hmm, sounds like baloo has had quite the reputation.

I would have thought that a search indexer wouldn't have so many problems, or if it did another project would have started to rectify them.
            You've quickly nailed it IMO. The baloo project is indeed such a rectification of the previous search framework; the names nepomuk and akonadi have sufficiently negative associations that it seems they were abandoned. From my (limited) perspective baloo is an improvement. I think general file content indexing is a very ambitious goal, owing to the many file formats that are used.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Unless one is adamant in doing searches from Dolphin, may I suggest getting and installing Recoll (https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/). Recoll is, IMO, one of the VERY BEST indexers/search tools around. It's very light and LIGHNTNING FAST once the initial index is created.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                I've had this, on Bionic I think. I isolated it to a corrupt baloo index file. IIRC a bug had been filed, and I offered to provide the corrupt file, but I was not asked for it.

The two files are in ~/.local/share/baloo/; delete them and they will be recreated. >>>
                This worked like a champ for me. Cheers!
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
                X