This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia overheats my laptop even when I swtich to Intel

My MSI GP60 laptop runs Kubuntu 19.04. It comes with a power-off button that changes color to indicate whether Nvidia is active or not. The hardware indicator shows that Nvidia is active even when I offload it with prime-select or using the GUI Nvidia settings. This is true when using Nvidia as well as Nouveau drivers. My laptop fans run like crazy all of the time, even though CPU shows no particular system load. Is there a way to completely turn of Nvidia card? I used to use Bumblebee with Debian 8 for this purpose on the same laptop, and it could turn off the card completely. When the card was in use I never used to have this overheating problem. What to do? My fans are so loud it makes work difficult.

Code:
    Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: i915 v: kernel 
              bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0416 
              Device-2: NVIDIA GK208M [GeForce GT 740M] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: N/A bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1292 
              Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa compositor: kwin_x11 
              resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
              OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.2 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes

Duplicate 'issue' posted and SOLVED at https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-to-ALX-driver
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X