This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] UKUU not offering newest kernels

I've been using UKUU (Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility) for several kernels, but it does not show the kernel 5.2.x full release.

It lists kernel 5.2 release candidates, but only the release candidates through rc7.

It has now moved to Kernel 5.3 rc1, completely skipping Kernel 5.2.x

Does anybody who uses UKUU see a full Kernel 5.2.0 listed (not just the release candidates)?

I'm using the free version (not paid) of UKUU, ver 18.9.1
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Not to question what your goal is, but what impact does installing an advanced kernel have on your existing code base?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

@jglen490
      Not a lot. I'm just observing that UKUU is not updating to follow the latest releases of the Kernel. It USED to do so...
      I'm not, in any way, being inconvenienced by not being on the bleeding edge.

Do you use UKUU?
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I do not, simply because there is no guarantee that the kernels being offered through UKUU will NOT cause issues with the current code base. Some kernels may be offered into the top of the development chain without necessarily being tested against either fielded or in-development software; or without even being considered for Ubuntu development.

I avoid it like the plague. I've seen forum conversations where UKUU kernels have completely messed up someone's operational system. And, then again, sometimes a kernel offered in UKUU has absolutely no impact - good, bad, or indifferent. The uncertainty, and risk, isn't worth it to me.
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

There's a big difference between living on the 'bleeding edge' and severing ones femoral artery! Just say'n.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

as far as I can see , at , https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

the amd64 & i386 builds failed for v5.2 v5.2.1 & v5.2.2 , and have just been started work on this month .

maybe that is why you do not see them yet !

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              There's a big difference between living on the 'bleeding edge' and severing ones femoral artery! Just say'n.
              No blood on my keyboard... yet... but I'm not moving to ver 5.2 either.

@jglen490, thanks for the warning on UKUU. I've not had any problems from the kernels installed with UKUU. But I'll be cautious.

@Vinny Thanks for the link and I see why Kernel 5.2 isn't offer yet. Thanks.

Thread solved

Comment

I noted this morning that UKUU has made available Kernel 5.2.3.
                I will be testing this going forward.

Lest there be any mass gasp of displeasure... I do have backup kernels in place AND a snapshot AND a system backup. It is, after all, my computer and the MIB are not camped out in the dark vans watching to ensure that I conform... [sarc off]

I'll report if I find any problems which appear to be related to this new kernel version.

If I don't have any problems in the next couple of weeks, I may move to Kernel 5.3.x as soon as it gets through the release candidate stages and goes to a full release.

Your welcome, somebody has to test these things

Comment

If there is something wrong with the current kernel, I would have no problem moving to the next available.

If it ain't broken, don't break it.

Never ever jump out to some far out kernel, if the rest of the "package" isn't specifically built to that far out kernel.

Comment

Pushaw, that's no fun... Live dangerously if you can afford the consequences. By that I mean that you need multiple computer systems so that you can use one to experiment with... Used computer systems are still cheap and offer an opportunity to build your knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                    X