This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok starts up with volume at zero

How can I set Amarok's default volume to something other than zero? I see the backend is phonon, but I have no idea what I can do with that.

Thanks in advance.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Amarok Version 2.9.0, Using KDE 4.14.38, (Build Date: Mar 18 2018)

I tried this today with some success, but an odd result:

With Amarok not running, edit ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc
    Find this section:
    Code:
    [Phonon::AudioOutput]Amarok_Volume=0

[Playback]
    Master Volume=0
    and edit it. As an experiment I changed "Amarok Volume" from 0 to 40 and "Master Volume" from 0 to 60 and saved. I figured using different volumes would show me which volume took effect if any. The odd part: when I restarted Amarok the volume was set at 59. I suppose then 101 would result in 100. Also when I looked at the amarokrc file again, the Master volume remained at 60 but the Amarok Volume changed to 0.6. I assume that number is supposed to be a percentage and 40 was out of range. 0.6 would be 60%.

Then I changed the volume to 50% in Amarok and exited the program. amarokrc then showed 50% and 0.5. So clearly, the volume is supposed to be saved when you exit the program.

Another oddity: I restarted Amarok after having closed at at 50% and it reopened at 49% - very odd. I did not adjust the volume this time and exited Amarok and the amarokrc file still showed 50%. Subsequently it reopened at 49% every time.

I posted the version number at the top and you can see it's lagging behind the current Plasma versions. You might be encountering a bug. I'm using KDEneon and I'm on Plasma 5.16.2, Frameworks 5.59.0, and QT 5.12.3.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Another oddity: I restarted Amarok after having closed at at 50% and it reopened at 49% - very odd. I did not adjust the volume this time and exited Amarok and the amarokrc file still showed 50%. Subsequently it reopened at 49% every time.
      When ever I see such numbering differences; off by '1', I tend to think of how the computer sees numbering vs how programs (likely) see numbering. In the case of the computer, counting begins with zero ( 0 ), while we (people / programmers) often begin counting 'things' from one ( 1 ). I'd almost bet that what you are seeing is a reflection of that. My observation.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

>>>

I posted the version number at the top and you can see it's lagging behind the current Plasma versions. You might be encountering a bug. I'm using KDEneon and I'm on Plasma 5.16.2, Frameworks 5.59.0, and QT 5.12.3.
        Lagging just a wee bit , as Amarok is still KDE4 /Qt4, and probably a reason for the volume oddities.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Strangely, I set amarok volume to 95% and exited the program, then restarted it and it came up at 95%. In the config file, I see

$ grep -i volume amarokrc
          Amarok_Volume=0.95
          Master Volume=95

No difference of one. My original problem seems to be because amarok is killed by the shutdown. If I exit correctly, it restarts with volume at 95%. But, strangely, if I kill it with

$ killall amarok

and restart it, it still comes up with volume at 95% and .95 for both volumes in the config file. I remain confused. I will try a normal shutdown to stop amarok. Back soon.
          'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Strange. I restarted the computer and amarok came up with volume at 95%.

Btw, I'm running KDE Neon 5.16 with Plasma at 5.16.3.

Comment

60 to 0.59 might be a floating-point arithmetic artefact. In floating-point 0.6 can't be stored exactly, and the round trip from decimal to binary and back to decimal gives 0.599999.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
              X