Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take for updates to reach the Software Center?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long does it take for updates to reach the Software Center?

I ask because I went to file a bug report for Krita (which crashes whenever I try to use my tablet), only to discover that the version I'm on is outdated and they don't accept reports unless you're on the latest release. I'd rather not rely on third party repos for stuff that's already in the Software Center, so I'm just wondering whomst I'm at the mercy of when it comes to this sort of thing, and how long they usually take. It better not be like how it is with drivers, where apps only get release upgrades when the OS does.

I use the Krita appimage so I'm always current (as long as they choose to support that format). I use various Wacom Cintiqs and haven't noticed any issues (working on game sprites in Krita as I type this). What tablet are you running and version of Krita? It may already be solved in 4.2.2. Might want to try the appimage from Krita directly. I'm not much of a repo user. As to your original question, usually, in my experience, will need to wait until the next release of the OS unless using PPA. If you use Neon, you'll get them as soon as they are pushed out with KDE apps (which Krita is). Or, Hail Mary is spin up a VM of Neon, pull the latest Krita and all it's dependencies and then install that on your bare metal install.
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Most things in the Ubuntu repos do not get updated at all until the next release. Security updates to existing products (kernel and system components) are fairly quick, and Firefox is one application that is regularly updated as new versions are released, as these are where the security fixes happen for it.

If krita needs you to be on their latest for bug reports, then grab what they have to offer, which is an appimage, which requires no installation, and no repos, and is created by the Krita community themselves.
      Or their Snap, which is somewhat similar to an appimage, but can be installed and updated from within Discover.
      or their official PPA
      https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/

Like most 'normal' distros, you don't get regular software upgrades without using special repos or channels.

Comment

Working...
      X