• Show
Clear All

The file "subvol_snapshot" can be edited to your liking. This paragraph:

Code:
    #set the default snapshot name and ask for a new one
    pathname="${$1%/*}/"
    #default target is subvolume name plus date/time
    filename=$(basename "$1")_`date +%y%m%d-%H%M%S`"$nameadd"
    name the snapshot and sets the path. If your snapshot path is "/snapshots/" then change

Code:
    pathname="${$1%/*}/"
    to

Code:
    pathname="/snapshots/"
    This line:

Code:
    filename=$(basename "$1")_`date +%y%m%d-%H%M%S`"$nameadd"
    [/CODE]

sets the filename of the snapshot. You can edit that too if desired.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 21, 2019, 05:49 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Wildly blatant self-promotion: I wrote a set of BTRFS Subvolume tools as a Dolphin Service Menu and it's available in the KDE store;

https://store.kde.org/p/1214134/

It requires manual installation of sorts, but works pretty well. I even get paid when enough people download it. I got an whole $1.45 last month!
      oh damn, I didn't know they paid. Seems I might be due some money for some snippets I put up. Double thank you for the menu and the info!

Comment

double damn, apparently I missed the chance. seems I could have got $40 off them if I paid attention

Comment

Oshunlover, I tried what you wrote but it didn't work. The only thing I changed was the pathname (I let the snapshot name alone as it looked good to me). I changed the pathname to "/snapshots/", saved it, then checked again to see if it was correct. Then I made two snapshots (@ and @home) but they didn't go into the snapshot folder. I mounted first, in /mnt. What went wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
            Oshunlover, I tried what you wrote but it didn't work. The only thing I changed was the pathname (I let the snapshot name alone as it looked good to me). I changed the pathname to "/snapshots/", saved it, then checked again to see if it was correct. Then I made two snapshots (@ and @home) but they didn't go into the snapshot folder. I mounted first, in /mnt. What went wrong?
            You mounted what first?

If /snapshots? is actually /mnt/snapshots/ then you need to enter /mnt/snapshots/

Snapshots must coexist on the same file system as the source. You cannot "snapshot" from one partition or drive to another. If your snapshots folder is on another drive or partition you can't use it for snapshots. You MUST snapshot on the source file system, then "Send" the snapshot to another btrfs file system. This would then make it a backup, not a snapshot.

Please Read Me

Comment

It still doesn't send the snapshots to the snapshots folder. I mounted /dev/sda1 to /mnt. Then I changed the pathname in the scripts folder to /mnt/snapshots/ and saved it. I took a snapshot of @. It didn't go into the snapshots folder. I seem to have missed a step somewhere. Any ideas?

Comment

Yeah, I went though the snapshot file again. I made some changes awhile back and dropped the path. I'll post a fix in a bit. Sorry, my mistake

Please Read Me

Comment

It still doesn't send the snapshots to the snapshots folder. I mounted /dev/sda1 to /mnt. Then I changed the pathname in the scripts folder to /mnt/snapshots/ and saved it. I took a snapshot of @. It didn't go into the snapshots folder. I seem to have missed a step somewhere. Any ideas?
                  ? this is a hole lot easier that all this editing the script HS .
                  IF I'm understanding what your trying to do .

So lets see , you have /dev/sda1 (that is btrfs) mounted to /mnt ,,,,,,correct ?

and now in /mnt you have something like this

Code:
                  vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/test$ ls -la
                  total 20
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  160 Jul 23 20:29 .
                  drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Aug 22  2017 ..
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  234 Oct 23  2018 @
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  234 Apr  5 14:31 @.bac
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   30 Oct 23  2018 @home
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   30 Oct 23  2018 @home.bac
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   30 Oct 23  2018 @home-old
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   30 Oct 23  2018 @home_snap
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  234 Nov 10  2018 @-old
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  234 Oct 23  2018 @_snap
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   22 Jul 23 20:32 snapshots
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   60 Oct 23  2018 ubiquity-apt-clone
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root    6 Oct 23  2018 var
                  the important part is "snapshots"

if so getting a snapshot to go into the snapshot folder

Code:
                  vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/mnt/test/snapshots$ ls -la
                  total 16
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  22 Jul 23 20:32 .
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 160 Jul 23 20:29 ..
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  30 Oct 23  2018 @home_test1
                  was as easy as NAMING the snapshot with the path , so , I just named it (in the name dialog that pops up when you take the snapshot) "/mnt/test/snapshots/@home_test1"

in my case the subvolume I snapshot-ed was on /dev/sdc (I use the hole disk so no partition#) mounted on /mnt/test from a system on /dev/sda6 .

IF you click the dolphin sevice menu "manage btrfs subvolumes>detailed subvolume information" the top thing in the popup will be the location of the subvolume you are working with as seen by the system.
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Excuse me Vinny, while I appreciate your help, I don't really understand what to do. I mounted my btrfs to /mnt, as you said. I have @, @home. snapshots, and two snapshots visible on this mount. I want to take a snapshot of @ and send it to snapshots--the same with @home. Apparently the pathname for the snapshot is wrong. That's my problem. And when I click on 'detailed subvolume information', I get nothing at all. I don't really understand the code you included. I am not a programmer, and so my ignorance keeps me from a full appreciation of your suggestion.

Consider me a dummy, like in those old books, 'Linux for dummies' in this case.

Comment

is your snapshot folder right their with the subvolumes and snapshots ?

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Excuse me Vinny, while I appreciate your help, I don't really understand what to do. I mounted my btrfs to /mnt, as you said. I have @, @home. snapshots, and two snapshots visible on this mount. I want to take a snapshot of @ and send it to snapshots--the same with @home. Apparently the pathname for the snapshot is wrong. That's my problem. And when I click on 'detailed subvolume information', I get nothing at all. I don't really understand the code you included. I am not a programmer, and so my ignorance keeps me from a full appreciation of your suggestion.

Consider me a dummy, like in those old books, 'Linux for dummies' in this case.
                        OK first things first ,,,, if you do not get anything from 'detailed subvolume information' then you do not have "notify send" installed which is one of the depends listed in the service manager script ,,,,so
                        Code:
                        sudo apt install ruby-notify
                        should fix that .

now they say a picture is worth a thousand words so ,,,,,,,,

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Thanks, Vinny. Now everything works fine. Oshunluvr's tool is really handy and saves me a lot of typing. Your little video was very clear and easy to follow. I feel less like a dummy now!

Comment

Thanks, Vinny. Now everything works fine. Oshunluvr's tool is really handy and saves me a lot of typing. Your little video was very clear and easy to follow. I feel less like a dummy now!
                            Great
                            and now I do not feel like a dummy making a video that was way off base from the actual issue ,,,,, I like making those videos .

and yes +1 on Oshunluvr's Dolphin btrfs service menu , I use it often and it works just as advertised .

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                            X