This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Here in Tauranga NZ

Well I have been using Kubuntu KDE for some time now, I love that it is so customizable, its menus and windows are consistent in layout, a productive experience, I use codeblocks for C++ programming, Netbeans for Java even though Oracle has been messing about with it. Apache look after Netbeans now, I use t with OpenJDK. Note to self Oracle and Microsoft have joined forces recently to attack the cloud market, two denizens of the software deeps. I haven't forgotten what Oracle did to Sun MicroSystems. I like Kubuntu KDE 18.04, yes Discover is a bit flakey but workable just, hopefully they will have another crack at fixing it one day. I came from Linux Mint which I used for years until they discontinued KDE so I jumped to KDE Neon for a while, at the time it had more bugs in it than a Petri dish so tried Debian...difficult to install and get WIFI going on it. Too painful, jumped again and here I am Kubuntu. Just love KDE. So a positive enrty in the soapbox. Enjoy.

Discover, I never see.
    For browsing the repos, I use Muon, which actually finds stuff. Discover very often does not.

For updates, I have alias upd='sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y' - which I run when I feel like it, it's faster and more informative.
    So, if you don't feel like going and putting the kettle on or something while it updates, you can do other things on the PC, as it uses little resources, or even watch it, as it's not painful like Discover

And what I particularly like about Neon unstable, it has no unattended upgrades whatsoever, and turning off update notifications actually works, so it's hassle-free.
    And I never get the update-apt-xapi monster process (which always seems to run at the most inopportune times - and way too often - on Kubuntu) .
    Except during the actual text-mode updates, but it's fast and painless.

Mint, I tried it a couple of times years ago - actually installed it (it had KDE ).
    Basically, it was the Complicating Simple Things Department.
    I found updates particularly annoying (which particularly annoy me
    So I just kept using Kubuntu - until I discovered Neon unstable. Which is much the same, but less, well, annoying.

Comment

As much as I dislike Discover, it is getting (slowly) better. But, like everything else in Linux, if you can't do something one way, there are 100 other solutions for getting it done.

And to each his own! I like a stable platform and Kubuntu LTS (of any version number) has never failed. Personally, I stay away from the variants such as Neon, particularly because it is advertised as "unstable". It's O.K. for others, not for me
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
      X