This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music Folder and how they are displayed in Dolphin

Hi. I'll try to make this as as clear as possible. I was a longtime Windows user, I made the leap to full Linux, specifically Kubuntu 19.04, in early March 2019. I love the look of the KDE Plasma environment & how customizable it is. There have been some hiccups along the way, but for the most part, it's been pretty smooth & since I'm already used to hunting down answers I've been able to overcome most of the issues that I've had, save for one/two glaring exceptions. I say one or two because they are related & likely affect each other.

A Quick Partial System Rundown:
    Kubuntu 19.04 is installed on a WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB SSD.
    (2) 3.5" 7500 RPM HDDs (1TB & 2TB) used for storage; they came from the Windows system, so are formatted in ntfs.
    My old Windows 7 OS resides on a separate 256GB SSD. I can't boot into Windows 7, because I am running a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard, hardware that doesn't support Windows 7.
    I have little desire to install Windows 10, though if push comes to shove, I have a 2.5" HDD sitting unused in a USB 3.0 enclosure that I'm willing to sacrifice if I must.
    8th Gen Intel Core i-5 8500 CPU.
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 RAM.
    Sea Sonic Focus+ Platinum 550 W PSU.

Please note that I have looked & searched through the forums & help pages for Kubuntu, Ubuntu, the Ubuntu Wiki, the Ubuntu & GNU/Linux Reddit pages & even the Linux help forums on Tom's Guide, Linus Tech Tips & others for an answer/solution to no avail. Some of the answers I cam across looked promising because they were sort of along the same lines as or similar to my question, however I've so far been unable to solve my problem.

My problem pertains to how Dolphin displays the contents of the My Music folder and its sub-folders, specifically with regards to the information shown in the columns & in which order those columns appear. All of the audio files have metadata written to the files with the fields corresponding/matching up with the columns selected to be displayed, but the information in those columns are empty.

I have tried using several of the Open Source tagging tools: EasyTag, Entagged, Quod Libre & Ex Falso, Kid3, the Tag Editor built into Clementine & all have meet with failure. I did select the option NOT to write the ID3v1 tag to the files after reading that might be a reason for it not displaying but that didn't work either. I tried to do the same using Mp3tag in WINE with the same results.

There is the My Music folder/directory. Within that main folder are 4,920 individual folders which are sorted by Name (where Name=Album Artist for ease of sorting/view & navigation) wherein each Album release gets its own dedicated folder. It's all organized & laid out exactly how I like it in a way that makes sense to me & also makes navigating quick & simple. All the files have had metadata tags written using the program mp3tag in Windows 7, which was set to write ID3v1 tags as well as APEv2 tags when ID3v2 tags (ID3v2.3 UTF-16 encoding) were written to the files. I have created & set several custom fields such as the Location of the band, Involved People, Production Credits, Artwork/Design credits & more. If there is an artist featured on a track, it's noted in the Filename & Title (which are for obvious reasons, the same). Track numbers, however are not part of the titles. Here's an example: the Artist is Windows Of Lucidity, the song Title is Hate(Less) (Feat. Calvin Gines Of Inversions)off of the Album Clear Barriers [EP].

All folders are shown in the Detailed View with the Columns listed in the following order: Name, Track, Title, Album Artist, Album, Genre, Length/Duration, Bit rate. Title is not included in Dolphin (I assume because it's redundant being that "Name" is the same thing).

Folders are sorted by Name until you get into Album Artist's individual Album folders, where files are then sorted Ascending by Track (i.e. 1-10).

*Note: The My Music folder was/is whatever on a HDD partitioned in/for Windows, so it is in the ntfs filesystem, though Dolphin shows it as "fuseblk" which I understand is how ntfs filesystems are displayed in Linux/Ubuntu.

Rather verbose, I apologize. To sum up: I need to have the file manager show the contents of the My Music folder/sub-folders with the corresponding information/metadata under the Columns as outlined above. I tried to attach some screenshots for reference but they aren't uploaded to the web, so I don't think it worked.

It may be a bug, or Kubuntu needs something installed in order to view the tags.
    On my KDE Neon desktop, which is more up to date than a stock Kubuntu 19,04, they show just fine., as expected.
    However, in my nearly bone stock Kubuntu 19.04, they do no show for some reason. Same files, and actually my Neon's music was directly copied from the Kubuntu system only a few weeks ago.
    I have not yet updated 19.04 using the PPAs yet, so I will probably do so, as a check, but I will look at any possible missing library files Dolphin may need first.

The file system should not matter, I don't think - the tags are embedded in the file itself, so it should not be a problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190706_183123.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	644236

Comment

this works @hear , However ,,,,,,

1-I do not have an NTFS partition to test on

2-it's working on a system running on a EXT4 partition and reading the Music folder from a BTRFS partition

3-it was NOT working until I turned ON file indexing for the BTRFS mount , (I had it excluded)

4- it only shows the info on the files themselves not the directory's

hope this helps some

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Make sure you have previews turned on for audio files. If your audio file has an embedded pic it show show if you have the preview option selected.

Can't say if this works on ntfs.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Make sure you have previews turned on for audio files. If your audio file has an embedded pic it show show if you have the preview option selected.

Can't say if this works on ntfs.
          It does.

Comment

I could see no differences in packaging in terms of id3 tags in either Neon or Kubuntu, so I upgraded the stock Kubuntu 19.04 to Plasma 5.15.5, using the Updates PPA
            https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

tag info was displayed after doing this.

I imagine upgrading to Plasma 5.16 would work, too, as well as getting a fresher UI, features, and fixes.

https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...untu/backports
            I don't know why it didn't work on the stock 19.04, I see no bugs reported in my searches, yet.

Name:	screenniee.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	644237

Comment

A tad confused here (I blame advancing years) re Dolphin set-up.
              Have been using Strawberry snap prog for mp3s but Dolphin would be all I need.

Downloaded singles tracks show as per Claydoh's pic.
              However albums - (cds K3b converted to mp3) - show ok in Strawberry but not in Dolphin. What is addling my brain is that in Dolphin each entry is named Artist - Track Number - Title.mp3 (ie capital first letter to each word with hyphen separation). However the Info panel shows artist/title words all underscore linked and some variation between capital/small case first letters!!

Am I missing a setting in Dolphin or something more basic!

Using Neon fully up to date

Playing around with VLC I found the confused text was due to corrupted metadata. Soon as that was sorted the respective image files were recognised. Thanks
              Last edited by Worzel; Jul 07, 2019, 02:11 PM. Reason: Problem resolved

Comment

Have you done this in Dolphin > Control > Configure Dolphin ?

Name:	Screenshot_20190707_162259.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	644238

Please Read Me

Comment

All set as above except ESRI Shapefile?

Not sure what caused the problem with media data - all single track mp3's show the relevant album cover. However within an album folder (as per Claydoh's image) they didn't until I amended the media data error. This usually meant text was 'word-word'; change it to 'word - word' and the cover was immediately displayed for each track.

Changing the folder icon to Music displays four mini album covers within the folder icon. I notice that Claydoh has a jpg of the album within its folder and wondered whether setting the folder icon to jpg would display similar to a single track mp3?

Main thing is to find out why the variation in track title spacing - I believe it is the ripped ones that have the problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X