X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a utility in Kubuntu to fix path and file names on NTFS drive

I was not sure where to post this question

I have a Hardrive formatted as NTFS lots of
    that had errors, and seems most of them were because of both bad file names, and path & file names too long.

I fixed some of the file name errors using Windows file-name error find programs,
    but I was wondering is there a utility in Kubuntu to do same and better ?

So far in Kubuntu world, I can only find 'rename' utils, but none that find the errors, and let me decide what to do.

Thanks

I don't know of any such Kubuntu utilities, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. However, if the errors are on an NTFS drive then it would be appropriate to assume they were created under Windows, and any errors should been been detected at creation/update. So if Windows has such a utility, and considering NTFS you will probably be better off and nore efficient at fixing those errors under Windows.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Without actually seeing examples of bad names, it's hard to say. I have repaired damaged filenames before using some command line tools, but it wasn't easy.

Generally, bad filenames means the metadata was corrupted and often results in the files themselves being damaged.

From a pure linux-snobbish point of view, I can see why few NTFS tools exist. Probably the shortest solution might be to install Windows in a VM, mount the NTFS partition as a shared drive to the VM, and run a Windows utility.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks guys.

Even the Windows tools while usable are not as good as you might expect,
        considering how long NTFS has been around, and as you point out prone to corruption.

I will never use XFS after loosing an external back up hard drive because of it.
        And will never use BTRFS becuse of loosing a partition.
        In al fairness I have never lost data on an EXT3 or EXT4.

But would be looning forward to using ZFS on Linux when it becomes more availble, to have
        Copy and write, and the features that BTRFS 'tried' to provide.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by sparxz View Post
          Thanks guys.

And will never use BTRFS becuse of loosing a partition.
          In al fairness I have never lost data on an EXT3 or EXT4.

But would be looning forward to using ZFS on Linux when it becomes more availble, to have
          Copy and write, and the features that BTRFS 'tried' to provide.

Thanks.
          I would be curious as to how you lost your BTRFS partition , I would wager it was not BTRFS's fault .

I'm not trying to change your mind on it , , , OK yes I am .

I have been using BTRFS for a few years now and EXT4 and BTRFS has never lost a partition for me or any data and I do enjoy the features that it provides like restoring your system from a snapshot quickly .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I approach this kind of problem by dropping all the file names into a text file, one per line. Then I use my text editing skills to concoct new file names to the right of the old names. If there are no single quotes in the names, putting all the names in quotes copes with lots of screwy names. For names with quotes and newlines there's more work. Then I add "mv " to the beginning of every line. Then I check and recheck carefully; with rename utilities it can be really hard to be sure you've got the commands right before they run. Then I source the file in bash.

But... I'm not sure that all possible screwy NTFS file names will be handled by the ntfs-3g driver we use in Linux. And if the names are messed up, perhaps other aspects of the file system are in a mess. Copying all the files off the NTFS, renaming the copies, and reformatting the NTFS then copying the files back might be a good idea, especially as you should be making a copy anyway.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

During Partition resize operation.
              I had used BTRFS when Open SUSE made it available and did not have an issue.
              It was only on Kbunttu I had issues.
              Got me badly burnt. Back to EXT4, and hope to use ZFS in future.
              I am not the only one who got hit with BTRFS, but I would not have relied on it,
              if I had have known how much it was an issue, and not just me.

Comment

Have moved the files to EXT4, which has gone OK. It was too laborious trying to NTFS to NTFS move.

Comment

Working...
                X