This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Optimize your SSD drive for Kubuntu

There is an excellent how to found at "Easy Linux Tips Projects" https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspo.../ssd.html#ID12
    It may be a bit hard to follow for KDE users. so instead of following the terminal commands to edit files Things are done a little different in Plasma.
    you simply go the the file and open with Kate then make the modifications and when you save the file it should ask you for your Password.

It's important to do The Trim part if nothing else and your drive supports it.
    Also adding
    Code:
    noatime
    to the
    Code:
    fstab
    entry is important.

If you are comfortable with the Terminal you can replace the xed/gedit with
    Code:
    sudoedit
    It will open a terminal text editor and you can edit the files that way and save them.
    Last edited by kc1di; Jun 30, 2019, 06:24 AM.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

It's important to do The Trim part if nothing else and your drive supports it.
    The Ubuntu system default runs trim weekly automatically. IMO even weekly is too often, but it's way better than continuously. When I used to run trim via a cronjob, I ran it monthly.

The default trim setup already on your system:

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]stuart@office[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#54FFFF][B]/shared/Documents[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ systemctl status  fstrim.timer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#54FF54][B]●[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] fstrim.timer - Discard unused blocks once a week[/COLOR]
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/fstrim.timer; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: [COLOR=#54FF54][B]active (waiting)[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] since Tue 2019-06-25 10:56:37 EDT; 4 days ago[/COLOR]
      Trigger: Mon 2019-07-01 00:00:00 EDT; 14h left
         Docs: man:fstrim

Jun 25 10:56:37 office systemd[1]: Started Discard unused blocks once a week.[/FONT]

Please Read Me

Comment

Also you can use nodiratime in fstab to reduce that activity even further.

This will show you if fstrim is running:
      Code:
      journalctl -u fstrim
      If you want to change the interval, On 18.04 you need to change the fstrim.timer:

sudo systemctl edit fstrim.timer

Then enter:
      Code:
      [Timer] 
      OnCalendar=monthly
      or use "daily" or whatever you want. A list of timers is here on this page.

Close and save the file created, this will create an override.conf file for fstrim to run on a new schedule.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm partial to daily myself but to each his own. Ok on it being setup already. That's good news.

Comment

Thanks oshunluvr for the input appreciated.

I'm partial to daily myself but to each his own. Ok on it being setup already. That's good news.

Comment

Every advice about the topic I've read says daily is too often - this includes Intel, the leading maker of Enterprise SSDs. But as you said, each to his own.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
              If you are comfortable with the Terminal you can replace the xed/gedit with ... sudoedit... It will open a terminal text editor and you can edit the files that way and save them.
              Actually, from 18.04 onward (or thereabouts) to edit a root-owned file, I just open it with Kate, and if I want to modify it and save it, it just asks for the root pw.
              Which I find a very simple and neat - if obvious, should have been so... forever - solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                Actually, from 18.04 onward (or thereabouts) to edit a root-owned file, I just open it with Kate, and if I want to modify it and save it, it just asks for the root pw.
                Which I find a very simple and neat - if obvious, should have been so... forever - solution.
                That what I said in the original post. "Things are done a little different in Plasma. You simply go the the file and open with Kate then make the modifications and when you save the file it should ask you for your Password. " I only put the line in about the terminal cause some do still use it. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                X