Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change default Hibernation command?

Hi All long time no speak.- hope everyone is well

6 year old Zoostorm i3 laptop with an ssd.

Would like to enable hibernation if only to prevent loss of data partly in case of battery running down etc but also just to see if I can get it working!

Following various posts on the net I have entries for hibernation in the shutdown and power menus. By way of test I leave Chrome open and then invoke one of the hibernation menu entries. The laptop shuts down and on restart during POST I get the message "resuming from Hibernation". However, I am greeted with the desktop and Chrome is not open. On starting it I am asked if I want to restore the open pages so it was clearly forcibly closed on shutdown.

However, if I run the command

sudo pm-hibernate

I am greeted with a black screen which shows s2disk in progress saving pages. The machine then shuts down. On restart I get the same message at post but this time on arrival at the desktop it is clear that it worked.

So with the default command it isn't saving the open pages. Could somebody please advise me on either replacing the default command with sudo pm-hibernate? Alternatively is there some tweaking I can do to enable the pages to be saved when exiting via the default command?

Many thanks

Ian

Solved -it was all down to correctly amending the grub config file to resuming frpm the swap partition

Comment

Could you give a pointer to the solution? My desktop suspends really well, but it reboots on resuming from hibernation.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        Could you give a pointer to the solution? My desktop suspends really well, but it reboots on resuming from hibernation.
        Dito... That would be good to know.

Comment

Likely this: https://superuser.com/questions/3831...om-hibernation
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry folks - unfortunately GMail moved the notifications to Spam so I only saw them today.

I assume you are at the point where you have hibernation in the menus?

If so, edit etc/default/grub by adding the following line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash resume=UUID=The UUID of your swap partition"

What I had got wrong was I had omitted the " at the end!

It is worth pointing out that I am running things the old fashioned way by using a swap partition. I suspect that if I hadn't done that and was working with a swap file instead that it would have worked out of the box.

Comment

Working...
            X