X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing options are not saved

Hi all,

For some reason, I can not save default printing options (duplexer use, tray selection, etc...). I have to manually change them every time I print.

When I go into Printers settings -> Configure->Priter Options, I can set the settings. Press Apply. Press OK.

Going back to printer settings and they are not saved.

Printer is a network printer (wired network) HP LaserJet 4250.
    hpcups 3.18.7

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Rudolf

also, similar question:

when i go to Printer Settings -> Configure -> Printer Options and delete an already configured printer, it no longer shows up in Printer Settings, but i still have to maneuver around those deleted settings when i try to print from applications such as browsers, email clients and design programs.

not only that, but there appears to be no way to permanently configure printer settings in those applications, either: when i'm printing, i ALWAYS have to choose the correct printer (in spite of the fact that i only have one printer), and i have to select "Letter" size, because "A4" size is the default...

this would be a fairly straightforward task on windows or mac... is it really that difficult with KDE and linux?
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Comment

I installed HPLIP. It seems to work well with Settings -> System Settings -> Hardware - > Printers. In fact the System Settings insisted that it be the one to discover and install the printer. From there I was able to tune the settings in HPLIP, and save them. YMMV, but it's worked very well for my setup and an HP Deskjet 3755 (small size all-in-one). I have 3.17.10, which if memory serves is the most current HPLIP for this printer.

Extra bonus, I can make use of all the features in HPLIP such as ink levels, and the other utilities. But again YMMV!

BTW, while I did check the HP Linux site to validate the supported printer/HPLIP versions, I did install HPLIP via Synaptic, making sure all the packages were installed.
      Last edited by jglen490; Jun 25, 2019, 07:07 PM.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

You might find some answers here...
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...paper-settings
        Greg
        W9WD

Comment

I'm not having these problems here with my Officejet 8720. Many applications over-ride settings but if you're setting the printer in HP Systray or CUPS the changes should stick. Are you a member of the "lpadmin" group?

Please Read Me

Comment

No I am not. (If you are talking to me)
            Greg
            W9WD

Comment

Also you may find it helpful to install hplip-gui and reinstall the printer via that it gives more control at least on my HP Printer.
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

This has been bugging me as well.

On my system the culprit seems to have been in System Settings...Regional Settings..Formats

I want to use Metric but the description showed Imperial, I clicked on the Detailed Settings option and straight away the description switched to Metric. After I applied theses settings I rebooted the computer and then I could set my default paper size to A4 instead of Letter.
                Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Tried you solution and it made no difference.
                  I was so hopeful too.
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

For HP printers, the System Settings printer page has only basic functionality. The entire HPLIP package, including the GUI, is required to perform the functions you need. You will need to verify which version of HPLIP will work best with your printer. The version in Synaptic, while good, is not necessarily optimized for your specific HP printer. The HPLIP site is:
                    Code:
                    https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Annoying! I've got it to work on 2 computers, I had to reboot both and on one of them I needed to make the change twice before it stuck - but you probably already tried that.

Hope you eventually find a solution.
                      Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

I do have that and it does control many things, but not all.
                        Like Gwenview.
                        Greg
                        W9WD

Comment

Someone fixed Gwenview.

Now the default setting on my print page (Gwenview) is Letter 8.5x11.
                          Thank you
                          Greg
                          W9WD

Comment

Working...
                          X