This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install Kubuntu to boot into Windows

I don't know how to describe this but I'll try. So, I wanted to upgrade the storage to my desktop computer because it is running out of storage. There are two places to install two hard drives, for some reason, the bottom hard drive slot doesn't work, but forget that, let's go on to the main problem. Since the new drive doesn't have an OS installed, I tried Kubuntu, just to play around till I can transfer the data from the old drive to the new drive. Well, I put the old drive in, but I had a boot cd with Kubuntu and accidentally booted into Kubuntu. Now the computer will only boot into Kubuntu. I tried to look for solutions so that I can boot into Windows from Kubuntu, but that requires installing Kubuntu, which I can do cause there's not enough storage. You might think that I can just uninstall an app, but they're all in Windows. I could just wipe the drive, but I would risk not only all my files, but I would have to install Windows again. So I can't fix the issue cause Kubuntu isn't installed, and I can't install Kubuntu cause there's no storage left, and I can't delete anything cause it's in Windows, which I can't get into cause the computer will only boot into to Kubuntu.

I'm just so stressed out, I just want to go back into Windows. Please help me.

take the boot cd out make sure the original drive is on the same connection that it was when you took it out and try .

if the Kubuntu cd is not in the box it cant boot it .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Can you explain that simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEpicDiamondMiner View Post
        Can you explain that simpler.
        do you still have the Kubuntu cd in the cd drive ?

first Q.

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

It's not in the CD drive.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEpicDiamondMiner View Post
            It's not in the CD drive.
            then the only way you are booting Kubuntu is if you installed it , or it was on the new drive.

is the original drive(the one that has windows) still plugged into the same place it was originally ?

O and just for clarity IS the Kubuntu you were trying on a cd and is that cd the "boot cd" you refer to in the OP

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

The Kubuntu disk not in the CD drive, and Kubuntu is not installed, then just reboot your machine. If this is true, then you still only have Windows installed on the machine and it will boot to Windows. If it does not, then Kubuntu IS installed on your machine and it MIGHT boot into Kubuntu first. Try it - I seriously doubt that you killed your machine (I mean other than having Windows on it - A little Linux humor).
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Nevermind, just changed the boot sequence to the hard drive only.

Comment

Originally posted by theepicdiamondminer View Post
                  nevermind, just changed the boot sequence to the hard drive only.

Vinny
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Double oof

Comment

From within a Linux console you could type sudo os-prober and press return, then type sudo update-grub. This should give you an option at boot to choose which os you want. (At least it does on one drive, not sure about two separate drives).
                      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
                      X