X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosmic install commentary and no libdvd

Hi
    for new folks, I either run Neon testing or with Kubuntu install a previous release and run it for several years because most of the " problems " should have been solved and these are my work machines.

So for those who were WONDERING about the Kubuntu Cosmic install here is what happened,.

This is on a 4 Intel i5 2320 @3 ghz
    7.7 gig Corsair RAM
    onboard Intel 2nd generation Core Processor MESA DRI Sandybridge desktop 3.0 MESA 19.0.2
    xserver 1200 4000

Two mice, one a Magic Eagle gaming wired mouse and a Gyration "air mouse" for standing at what has become known, as advocated by others a "ten foot interface" also the accompanying wireless keyboard.

A wired Emarth colored gaming keyboard.

I have an EXTERNAL DVD / CD rewriteable that came out of another box which works fine EXCEPT for showing DVDS with multiple chapters and the very last chapter "stops and starts" and that is, of course, due to the read / write head not being exactly designed to show movies.

Insert the DVD
    45 seconds to the welcome screen
    Try Kubuntu
    22 seconds to the desktop and wired internet connexion found.
    chose normal install did NOT do updates during install.
    Use guided the whole disk.
    Replaced 18.0 old
    1 minute 30 seconds
    total install time 16 minutes on an 80 gig Maxtor.
    68 updates took 4 minutes

OF NOTE... libdvd was NOT installed...even though all of the OTHER dvd stuff was installed and so the provided media players would not run a DVD until libdvd was installed.

QUESTION...is this something to do with the guy at KDE wanting to control this or that ? If so, then he will, automagically keep a TOTALLY NEW person to Linux quite out of the game because a TOTALLY NEW person would not know to use sudo to install libdvd and would not even KNOW about libdvd.

so, anyway...

Kubuntu Cosmic is running ok as the Kparadigm shift television media center.

Switching activities is still using the relatively streamlined set of clicks which I first observed in Neon and the left land right click "bugs" from a few years ago are fixed.

This is on the latest and greatest and LASTEST Woody build, "Blue on Blue" an out of the case liquid cooled mod.

By and large... the normal...calm... install of Kubuntu...lol...with the exception of libdvd...hmmm

woodifanyonehasquestionspleaseasksmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!
Working...
X