This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thermal shutdown scare

So I get home yesterday open the lid on my system76 Bonox8 and start checking emails .
    Within 5 min the shutdown screen pops up and the box shuts down.
    I'm like , what the heck , and try to restart the box by pressing the power switch , the caps lock and number lock lights both start flashing and a lowed beep , beep , beep continuously going off , hold down the power button and leave it off for a wile .

5-10 min latter I start it back up boot to a different install just in case and start reading emails .
    Again with no warning the shutdown screen and power off and again the beeping if trying to immediately restart .

Now I'm getting worried and think hay I don't think I heard the fans running (they have been a bit noisy).
    So I get myself ready for a trip inside the box .
    remove back panel and ,,,, the Nvidia GPU fan will hardly spin , , I have no money at the moment to spend on this ,,,so lets extract it and see if we can repair it , i could pull the fan off the armature and their was a buildup of dust inside the magnetic ring , a few qtips later and it was clean enough to spin but still a bit draggy , some extra virgin olive oil on a qtip rubed on the central shaft that holds the fan centered in the armature and it spins nicely .

Now my thinking on keeping the fans blown out was a tad off , i assumed that one could just blow air through the air intake in the bottom of the case and it would help , but these fans are closed on the sides except for a bit in the center and directs the air flow out the 1 flat SIDE of the fan case and across a radiator looking stile heat sink it's pressed up against ,

the hole end of the slot that presses on the heat sink was clogged with dust 1/8th of an inch thick .

clean it all up reinstall it and do the same for the CPU fan except it is one of the type that the fan dose not pull off , but it was still spinning well .

now the box is running quieter cooler than ever , go figure .

I guess I better start looking into how to get some replacement fans on hand for the inevitable .

So keep in mind all my linux friends just because the air passages on the outside of the case look clean dose not always mean things are well , their was also a cluster of solder dots (transistors resistors or the like) on the MB right under the GPU fan that was blackened over with dust that I had the gently rub away with a qtip

VINNY
    Last edited by vinnywright; May 25, 2019, 03:01 PM.
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    the hole end of the slot that presses on the heat sink was clogged with dust 1/8th of an inch thick .
    My wife used to have a Dell Inspiron that had this problem a lot (CPU fan though), I would have to clean this area out every 6 months or so... super annoying, but after it was cleaned the laptop would run as new. Definitely doesn't help when the heat sink isn't getting any air. I don't miss that laptop
    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
      My wife used to have a Dell Inspiron that had this problem a lot (CPU fan though), I would have to clean this area out every 6 months or so... super annoying, but after it was cleaned the laptop would run as new. Definitely doesn't help when the heat sink isn't getting any air. I don't miss that laptop
      every 6 months ,,,,,that was like a game of operation

getting those little screws up and out away from the open laptop hanging on the tip of a magnetic screwdriver ,,,,,,,

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

every 6 months ,,,,,that was like a game of operation
        LOL

Thankfully though, it wasn't that bad. BTW, I stunk at Operation!

getting those little screws up and out away from the open laptop hanging on the tip of a magnetic screwdriver ,,,,,,,
        If only the tweezers were magnetic
        Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
        tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Yeah, had to replace the fan in my MSI laptop. At least they made it to where those can be replaced. Bought two. One set aside in case.

Comment

Working...
          X