This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing xfe

For a variety of reasons not important here, I wiped out Kubuntu 17-something-or-another, reconfigured and reformatted the hard drive, and installed 18-something-or-another. When it came time to reinstall the file manager xfe I drew a complete blank. I can't for the life of me remember how I got it on the former installation!

I tried using this site's search function with "install xfe" and got 800 pages. I waded through the first 3, then gave up. At age 75, I don't have enough time left to be wasting it on such wild goose chases!

Googling "xfe install" and several variants gets me thousands of hits about XFCE, but mentions almost nothing about xfe in the first few pages. I gave up here for the same reason as in the paragraph above.

Going to the xfe website (http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/) and the associated download page (http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/index.php?page=download) only gets me a lot of unintelligible jargon.

So, my question is simple: Can anyone either point me to a relatively elementary page of instructions? Or baring that, can anyone supply me with a detailed list of step-by-step instructions?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Stan

Either search for it in Muon or Discover, or use apt on the command line

Code:
    sudo apt install xfe

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Either search for it in Muon or Discover, or use apt on the command line

Code:
      sudo apt install xfe
      Thanks. Worked like a charm.

Stan

Comment

KDE Frameworks Version: 5.57.0
        Qt Version: 5.12.2
        Kernel Version: 5.0.0-15-generic
        OS Type: 64-bit
        Processor: 1 × Intel Core Processor (Broadwell, no TSX, IBRS)
        Memory: 3.9 GiB of RAM

By the way, I couldn't find xfe via Discover (Disco Dingo) whereas apt search xfe picks it up.

I'm posting because I'm afraid this isn't the only time I could find software via Discover but could do so via the terminal. For example, I couldn't find jwm. After installing it with apt install, Discover does see it.

Discover isn't alone here. For whatever reason, the Ubuntu Software Center can't find Konqueror.
        Attached Files
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Because these packages are direct imports from Debian, they likely are missing the metadata needed for Discover or the Software Center to "see" them. These are mainly designed to show GUI applications, as opposed to more system system level things. Some of these less installed or less popular items unfortunately don't get the info added.

Full package managers can of course see *everything*.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Because these packages are direct imports from Debian, they likely are missing the metadata needed for Discover or the Software Center to "see" them. These are mainly designed to show GUI applications, as opposed to more system system level things. Some of these less installed or less popular items unfortunately don't get the info added.

Another odd one is Openbox. While an entry to Openbox itself is missing, two "accessory" packages are present. This is with Kubuntu 18.04. Currently, Openbox is the window manager for Lubuntu.

(The software center in Ubuntu 18.04 lists "openboxy Alt+Tab" alone when I search for openbox. When I search for "openbox window manager" I get only "Openbox Settings".)

All this is quite bizarre. I know that all (or most) Linux distros have gotten together on this whole appstream metadata business. Perhaps it, like the app stores, is a work in progress.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

A window manager is not an application in itself, at least in this regard, but GUI tools for it are.

Bizzarre in a sense, but also I'm the scope of an app store, it's use cases, and intended user base , it does make sense.

Comment

A window manager is not an application in itself, at least in this regard, but GUI tools for it are.

Bizzarre in a sense, but also I'm the scope of an app store, it's use cases, and intended user base , it does make sense.

I did some more reading and came across https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1579415 and https://mhall119.com/blog/help-make-...are-beautiful/ which both match what you say.

In brief, software centers are oriented to a certain class of users. More technical users can use tools such as Synaptic, Muon, or the CLI.

Also, some packages may not have the metadata generated at all or in order and that has to be communicated to the relevant maintainer. The case of Krita was mentioned: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1576827.

The community aspect, aka how we all can help, was covered in Help make Gnome Software beautiful
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I can find it in neon Discover.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                    I can find it in neon Discover.
                    Same here. Neon's Discover has many of the packages missing from Dingo's Discover. So they're working on it and it's just a matter of time.
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                    X