This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A shame really

It's a shame really. I really wanted to use Kubuntu on my computer but it's simply not usable. Specifically, the network connection keeps dropping (or sometimes just seriously slowing down).

I tried getting rid of all IPV6 settings. That didn't work.

After hours of fiddling around, I finally got rid of network-manager (after stopping its service) and replaced it with WICD. That worked for about 2 days. Imagine my dismay when I started getting dropouts again today. Assuming that the system had auto-updated, I got rid of network-manager again and put in the commands to block auto-updating. (I could always manually use the Konsole commands to update, if needed). No luck. Now even WICD can't sustain a reliable internet connection.

This is really a pretty serious bug. Apparently it's an official bug now based on what I've been reading. The system is unusable if one has to continually disconnect and reconnect to get decent internet connectivity. I guess I'll have to return to Windows (sigh).

If anyone does have a solution, feel free to contact me at petrillijack1@gmail.com as I really would like to use this Plasma desktop.

- Jack

if you really want to have some assistance, you likely won't get it via email, not with a post title like that. Also, we've never, ever seen this sort of 'go back to Windows' before. Not ever
    I actually looked to see if this was a copy-pasta spam post, as the tone you use is very old and tired and oft-used over the years. That, and usually, new members normally can't post links on their first post, but I imagine email is OK.

You will get more people to spend their free time to help you if you don't come off so negatively, though we do understand the frustration. Most if not all of us have been there at one point.

Linux is NOT like Windows, and some hardware simply doesn't always work out of the box. It is hard for volunteers to write drivers if a manufacturer does not provide useful data on a product. Some brands of wifi chipsets come to mind. This would explain why network manager and wicd act up for you. it isn't these pieces of software, but much more likely to be your network/wifi card.

What is missing is some info.
    What 'official bug' are you looking at (links?)
    What sort of system do you have?
    What do you have for a wifi card?

Comment

Okay, I'll bite as well, but please provide some information. I take it from the section you posted in you are using kubuntu 19.04 (hopefully, if not please let us know otherwise). What model of computer are you using? If custom, what motherboard are you using? It would be great if you posted the output of the following command:
      Code:
      lspci | egrep -i 'network|ethernet'
      Any special setup on your router that might be causing the issue?
      Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

No reply. No interest.

Spam, spam, spam, spam ...
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Hi guys,
          I had the exact same issue. Dell XPS-13 9360 (so should be fully supported as Dell have a developer edition of this laptop using Ubuntu). Reasonably new to Linux (tried 6-7 distros before, but have never found one that covers all the bases). Kubuntu came the closest, but as above I'd have network dropouts every 5 minutes or so. Wifi would show as connected, but no traffic would pass. Had to disconnect and reconnect to get any traffic flowing again. Tried creating new user profiles etc in case something was glitchy in the /home folder, but same thing.

Main thing holding me back from Linux is OneDrive support, but that should be sorted via Insync soon, so will have to re-try again. Obviously I'm running Win10 at the mo, but any suggestions where to look if Kubuntu does the same thing with a fresh install? Cheers !!

edit: FWIW, all my wifi kit is Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
            Hi guys,
            I had the exact same issue. Dell XPS-13 9360 (so should be fully supported as Dell have a developer edition of this laptop using Ubuntu). Reasonably new to Linux (tried 6-7 distros before, but have never found one that covers all the bases). Kubuntu came the closest, but as above I'd have network dropouts every 5 minutes or so. Wifi would show as connected, but no traffic would pass. Had to disconnect and reconnect to get any traffic flowing again. Tried creating new user profiles etc in case something was glitchy in the /home folder, but same thing.

Main thing holding me back from Linux is OneDrive support, but that should be sorted via Insync soon, so will have to re-try again. Obviously I'm running Win10 at the mo, but any suggestions where to look if Kubuntu does the same thing with a fresh install? Cheers !!

edit: FWIW, all my wifi kit is Ubiquiti
            I suggest starting a new post, so more eyes will see it, as opposed to this old and unproductive thread.
            Only thing I will say about the Dell, is that it could very likely be that the Developer Edition has a different wifi card than what you have.

But do feel free to start a new thread, and do include the terminal output of the lspci command, so we can see some hardware info about your particular card.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              I suggest starting a new post, so more eyes will see it, as opposed to this old and unproductive thread.
              Only thing I will say about the Dell, is that it could very likely be that the Developer Edition has a different wifi card than what you have.

But do feel free to start a new thread, and do include the terminal output of the lspci command, so we can see some hardware info about your particular card.
              Thanks, I'll start another thread when I reinstall if the issue occurs again.

The model I had has the Killer Wireless card which is shared between Microsoft and Developer editions of the laptop so should be compatible.

Thanks for the quick reply BTW

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                I suggest highlighting in some way (not with the ugly red box, no :·) the What's New/New Posts section

Click image for larger version

Name:	np.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	644246

Comment

Working...
                X