Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up a Server with the DNS System?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a Server with the DNS System?

I'm really lost as to what to do next.

I just set up an SSH server downstairs that I'm going to use backups over the internet.

I think it has a static public IP (I know that it has a static private IP on the LAN).

I'm not sure what to do next. I've gotten a lot of recommendations to use freeDNS, but I'm not sure how to register with them or what to do.

How did you guys set up your servers?

@PhysicistSarah
    It's been a long time since I had to do that here. My ISP has my connection with a static IP now so all I do is use the IP.

However, IIRC, once you set up the account with whichever free DNS provider you use, you will still have to have a system on your end that can periodically check your ISP connection to check if you have a different IP from the last check and it would update it.

Now, at that time I had a Windows system @ home to do that for me and it seemed to do fine. It would come down to if that free DNS provider has a Linux client to do the same.

I know probably not much help but I hope it does.

EDIT: Found the link below at freeDSN.

https://freedns.afraid.org/scripts/freedns.clients.php
    Last edited by MoonRise; May 18, 2019, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhysicistSarah View Post
      I'm really lost as to what to do next.

I just set up an SSH server downstairs that I'm going to use backups over the internet.

I think it has a static public IP (I know that it has a static private IP on the LAN).
      Ok,m first off "thinking" vs. knowing is huge. You either must have a static IP or a service that manages your dynamic IP for you. I use No-IP. Then you may want a domain name of your own. No-IP (and others) include that in the service.

Also, your server actually does not have an internet IP at all, static or dynamic, because your private home LAN is behind whatever router you are using for your home network. The router has an internet IP is got from the DNS server it's attached to. Then you port forward web traffic from your router to the server. If you're just using ssh, would would need to forward whatever port you're using for SSH from the router (internet) to your server. It is highly recommended that you not use the default SSH port 22.

Please Read Me

Comment

it's been a long time sence I used SSH over the net , I still use it on my LAN with dolphins "network>add network folder>ssh" to easily push and pull files between my computers (sftp) .

when I did use a SSH connection from the net I had a static IP and all that was needed was to forward the port through the router , the router's port forwarding page lets you chose a port (one you have configured in ssh's settings and yes change it from 22 to something else) and name a service (ssh) and the LAN address of the box to allow the connection to (192.168.x.x) , then all that was (for me) required was to use my IP address and port for the connection.

I did at one time use a DNS service and Apache for a webpage (vary simple one) when I was on the road a lot and wanted my media anywhere , this was back in KDE-3.5 days however

VINNY
        Last edited by vinnywright; May 18, 2019, 11:29 AM.
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X