Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to adjust the screen brightness on 18.04 ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] How to adjust the screen brightness on 18.04 ?

Is there a way to adjust the screen brightness on 18.04 ?
    On 14.04 I used Kwin plugin called Nightmode that worked great (someone on this forum recommended it to me years ago )
    but it's not supported on 18.04.

Is there anything else I can use to adjust the screen brightness ?
    Last edited by ronshor; May 17, 2019, 12:47 PM.

go to System Settings > Power Management > Energy Saving in there should be screen brightness

or

for example i'm on a laptop on the bottom right on your screen click the little battery icon there should be a display brightness slider in there, sometimes some icons will be hidden you will have to click on the little arrow to show all other icons

Comment

I can see the Energy Saving in System Settings and the Battery and Brightness at the right bottom of the screen but there's no brightness slider in any of the them.

Comment

If it's not there, then likely your computer doesn't support the feature. Try installing powerdevil and see if it allows you to dim the screen.

Please Read Me

Comment

Also there's a program called "redshift" that may do what you want.

Please Read Me

Comment

There's also sct. A really tiny CLI program.

sct 4500 or whatever will set the screen temp to 4500 as opposed to the default 6500.

Just sct will reset to 6500.

See man sct.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              If it's not there, then likely your computer doesn't support the feature. Try installing powerdevil and see if it allows you to dim the screen.
              The system shows that powerdevil is already installed on my system but it does nothing...
              Redshift is not exactly what I want (it's not making the screen darker ) and I can't control it .

The Kwin plugin was really great and simple. Why couldn't they make it as part of the Plasma 5 ?
              It shouldn't be that hard.

Comment

What do you see when you click on the battery icon in your taskbar? I don't know what your setup is but there is often a brightness control in the function keys, especially on a laptop.
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I see "Enable Power Management " but there's no brightness slider.
                  I'm on a DEll Desktop

Comment

have u tried it enable the power management see if it adds brightness control
                    Originally posted by ronshor View Post
                    I see "Enable Power Management " but there's no brightness slider.
                    I'm on a DEll Desktop

Comment

Originally posted by cameraman View Post
                      have u tried it enable the power management see if it adds brightness control
                      The Power Management is enabled, but there's no brightness slider.
                      It's a Dell PC with LG 42 inch TV screen. I don't understand why it's not supported ?

Comment

Originally posted by ronshor View Post
                        >>> LG 42 inch TV screen. >>>>
                        That may be your problem right there. Does it work on a "typical" monitor?
                        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                          That may be your problem right there. Does it work on a "typical" monitor?
                          Could be ...but media players brightness and contrast work great. Gamma change on System Settings - Display and Monitor works okay and the Kwin plugin Nightmode served me well for 4 years with this screen.

So why would brightness change from the system itself won't work ?

Only problem I have with this TV screen is that PC won't turn it on/off the way it does with a PC monitor, so I have to turn it on/off myself .
                          Last edited by ronshor; May 27, 2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X