Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PRINTER] Wi-fi printer recommendations?

My current printer, ≈13 years old, is having issues now, and I'm thinking about replacing it. I've bought HP printers for ages, including my current Deskjet F4150 All-in-One, and they've always worked out of the box with Linux.

But they've always been hardwired to a computer, and usable by all computers on the network by sharing it on the computer it's connected to.

Now I think I want to go with a standalone printer that all my devices can print to wirelessly--and from 'the cloud.' This includes all my Kubuntu computers, an Android tablet, and two Android smartphones. (Notice the Linux theme?)

I'd like to stick with HP, based on personal experience. My needs are minimal! I print once in a blue moon. I don't need or care about blazing speed or any fancy-schmancy features. I just want it to print when I need to print something.

Suggestions/recommendations are most welcome.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

I have a HP laserjet 200 color M251. Is wireless, works out of the box with Manjaro KDE, Kubuntu 18.10&19.04 and Debian Buster KDE

Comment

HP makes a lot of really good wireless printers. I don't know about "the cloud", but both HP printers in my house make good use of our router. I'm just kidding about the cloud; it'll work for that, too, but requires a computing device to connect. "The cloud" is overrated, in general.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by v7peer View Post
        I have a HP laserjet 200 color M251. Is wireless, works out of the box with Manjaro KDE, Kubuntu 18.10&19.04 and Debian Buster KDE
        Thanks for the info.

I should've specified that I'd like to stick with an inkjet, not laser, printer.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
          HP makes a lot of really good wireless printers. I don't know about "the cloud", but both HP printers in my house make good use of our router. I'm just kidding about the cloud; it'll work for that, too, but requires a computing device to connect. "The cloud" is overrated, in general.
          You're funny!

(And I completely agree about the 'cloud' being overrated. I would NEVER rely on cloud-based programs, data storage, etc., in a business environment. But using Dropbox for off-site backups, and the occasional Google app, like a spreadsheet, that can be shared by relatives thousands of miles away, I like it.)

Anyway, do you have two different models of HP printers, or are they the same? Which model(s) are they? Was setting them up pretty straightforward?

Comment

I have a Deskjet 3755, which is a compact All In One. It went straight to trying a wifi connection from the second it was plugged in and connected to my Kubuntu box. My son has an All In One, a larger model, something like "55", maybe "85" that he got at Sam's Club. It too was easy to set up, and more than willing to connect via wifi. I also bought a Deskjet 6738 for our church's office, and it also shares very easily among the office staff computers - all Windows 10.
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Thanks for the info, @jglen490, and sorry for the belated response.

There's a very low sale price on the HP OfficeJet 3830 model on Amazon right now, and its compatibility with Linux confirmed.

However, I'm really baffled by some of its reviews, which talk about paying to print. One said you're limited to printing 15 pages per month, then charged $1 per page. WTF?! I've never even heard of such a thing, and it's not mentioned in any of its info on its Amazon page. To say nothing of the fact that I don't see how something like this would work.

So I have two questions:

1) Is the pay-per-page thing true?

2) Does anyone have personal experience with this model or, from reading its info, would you recommend it?

Please keep in mind my primary needs: printing occasionally, scanning occasionally, connecting to my Wi-Fi network, printing from any of my computers (all Kubuntu), printing from the cloud, and printing from my Android devices.

On that last point, note that its page mentions printing from your phone or tablet, but also refers to iPhone phones specifically, with no mention of Android. (I have not yet dug further, like seeing if there's an Android version of their app.)

All input welcome and appreciated!

Comment

HP does have a "pay for print" model, but it's based on a delivery service. You don't have to sign up for the service, so print what you like, when you like, and when you need to replace a cartridge do it on your schedule, and buy replacement cartridges when you want to do so.

I print on an occasional basis, too. And I scan every once in while, including printing a copy directly from a scan. It's a nice machine, with a small footprint.

EDIT: OOPS, "it" is my Deskjet 3755!

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                  I print on an occasional basis, too. And I scan every once in while, including printing a copy directly from a scan. It's a nice machine, with a small footprint.

EDIT: OOPS, "it" is my Deskjet 3755!
                  Ha ha, that's fine! I love my Deskjet, too, though it's the F4150.

As I said in my OP, it's ≈13 years old now. I'd really like a wireless all-in-one that isn't hardwired to a computer. The desktop it's connected to, well, I'm anticipating its death imminently--and I won't be replacing it.

Comment

HP has LOTS of wifi printers! The 3830 is a fine printer, if you choose it. If I need a flatbed scanner I use my son's, but my "little" 3755 works well, too.

Kubuntu supports HP printers out of the box, but I usually just pull in the GUI package also. More management options.

Comment

I have used about 3 different Epson all in one wifi printers, the oldest and still in use is the Stylys NX625. A couple were there low end units, never had any problems connecting them through wifi. In fact none of my computers are hard wired, all run connect to wifi and find the printer easily. My wife's Samsung tablet is also connected to the printer.

Comment

Brother printer

I truly appreciate that you are asking for recommendations before buying printer.Internet has huge resources so I will suggest you to go through each an every printer with their brief details. Just a year ago I bought an expensive printer fromthe brand Brother.I have been facing several issues till the day I bought it.Now the current stage is it has stopped printing and started showing printer driver is unavailable.I am totally frustated with this set up.I am badly in need of the solution,.

Comment

Originally posted by josh1212 View Post
                          I truly appreciate that you are asking for recommendations before buying printer.Internet has huge resources so I will suggest you to go through each an every printer with their brief details. Just a year ago I bought an expensive printer fromthe brand Brother.I have been facing several issues till the day I bought it.Now the current stage is it has stopped printing and started showing printer driver is unavailable.I am totally frustated with this set up.I am badly in need of the solution,.
                          I've had good experiences with HP printers and one bad experience with Brother, so I don't go there anymore. Presently I have a little HP LaserJet Pro M201dw. It was relatively inexpensive, has a small desktop footprint, makes excellent copies and works well with Linux. I know that DoYouKubuntu said he preferred a deskjet but if all you need is something to print black and white copies, this little laserjet is worthy of a mention. BTW I'm sure there's a newer model now.
                          "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
                          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I agree about HP printers. They integrate well with Kubuntu, plus they have HPLIP with a GUI that helps with more than the basic setup that Kubuntu does. My HP Deskjet 3755 is a small all-in-one that does wifi printing quite well, and does wifi scanning to my PC. With that model, the wifi is set up with a USB cable attached. But, once wifi is setup, the USB cable is not required. Or you can just leave it as a USB printer. The larger models work well, too, many of them set up wifi via wifi. I just like HP printers

Comment

I gave up printers, vowing that when my seldom used 13 year old HP Photosmart died I would forgo using a printer at all, as I still have about a fourth of the standard pack of paper I bough back in 2012. So, yes it died about a month ago, and guess what, I needed to print enough things that I decided to look at prices, or go to my local Goodwill, which has cheap units for sale regularly.

I ended up buying this one, new:
                              https://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIX...nter/542288238
                              Yes, that is 19.99. Having Staples or someone print stuff I needed was going to cost eleven dollars, more if I did some pages in color.

And I can get third party ink if i ever need any again. Yes, it is flimsy and light, and the scanner is fairly simple, but It Just Works wirelessly, which is just an added bonus, as this was not a requirement - I normally used the old HP wirelessly via being shared from my PC, and I could print to it from all my devices via wifi. Even wifi scanning was not difficult to do.
                              Print qaulity was good, maybe better than the ancient, tired HP, and it was much faster.

Now I feel bad, as I was this close to being paper free. But not enough to fret too much. I still need a scanner fairly regularly.

Comment

Working...
                              X