This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropbox icon reappeared, then disappeared again

My Dropbox icon disappeared ages ago, before I got sick, and anything I tried back then didn't bring it back. I'm now finding my old "gotta fix this!" spirit, and want my damn DB icon back!

Recently, it reappeared--briefly--but I grabbed a screenshot. The thing is, see the white icon with the blue ? in it? Let's call that "unknown." THAT has replaced the real DB icon. I had just right-clicked on it when, lo and behold, the REAL icon appeared (right next to Eyes):

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_system_tray_icons_0a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	649470

Note that this is NOT the icon I used to have--it was much smaller and not colorful. So I don't know what's up with that.

It was there briefly--long enough for me to see its animation--and then, poof!, it was gone again. While it was there, right-clicking on it brought up the exact same DropBox menu as right-clicking on the "unknown" icon.

After it disappeared, I poked around in my panel settings; from these images you can see that the "unknown" icon is grouped with several others in "System Tray"; note where my mouse pointer is--after Eyes, it's on the first and last icons in System Tray:

Name:	tmp_system_tray_icons_1a.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	649471

Name:	tmp_system_tray_icons_2a.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	649472

Name:	tmp_system_tray_icons_3a.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	649473

So Dropbox, represented here by "unknown" icon, is in System Tray. I opened the settings for System Tray and got:

Name:	tmp_system_tray_icons_5.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	649474

I have an image of its first settings page, too, but can't upload a sixth file. Note the "unknown" icon shown next to DB. Trust me that nothing, anywhere, allows me to select an icon for Dropbox. I've scoured my hard drives for anything related to DB, and I've found its executable and other stuff, but no icons. I've looked in system icons and they're not there, either.

Please note that I DID try searching through other threads about DB, but couldn't find an answer to my simple question: where are DB's icons stored? And/or, how do I change the "unknown" icon to DB's? DB's must be a set, since it's animated based on what it's doing. Where the hell are they? Where should they be? How did it magically appear when I right-clicked on the unknown icon?

Kindly keep in mind that this is a 14.04 laptop.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

how old is your dropbox app?
    My guess is that it might an anomaly of 14.04 using an ancient Qt version (4.x) and dropbox using Qt 5.x
    Last winter, the update from their 2015 release to the November 2018 release caused Ubuntu user to lose the icon altogether for a bit.

Comment

And, what Icon Theme are you using?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        how old is your dropbox app?
        I've just run dropbox update so it should be the current version. (I don't see an option to get its version, i.e., something like dropbox -v or dropbox version.)

My guess is that it might an anomaly of 14.04 using an ancient Qt version (4.x) and dropbox using Qt 5.x
        Last winter, the update from their 2015 release to the November 2018 release caused Ubuntu user to lose the icon altogether for a bit.
        I have no idea. And what's doubly weird is that I'm no longer showing dropboxd as running. That's the dropbox daemon and has always been listed in ps -ef | grep dropbox, but now that only yields ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-72.3.132/dropbox /newerversion. According to Dropbox's man page, dropbox start will start dropboxd, but it's not doing it for me!
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          And, what Icon Theme are you using?
          Well, my overall icon theme is MIB-Ossigeno-Icons, a beautiful, glossy blue that I've carried with me for many years now. But it has no effect on the icons in System Tray. I've poked all around in various icon locations and cannot even find the "unknown" icon with the blue ?. I wonder where it lives? If I could find it, I'd replace it with DB's icons, which, by the way, after updating, I've located them! They're now in ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-72.3.132/images/hicolor/16x16/status/.

So now that we know where they are, how do I make System Tray acknowledge their existence?

Comment

IIRC, the icons in the System Tray are 'links' to the actual application, so, open Dolphin and navigate to where the DropBox executable is, right-click on it, and select properties and check if it is displaying it's icon. If it isn't, then change it to point to the desired one you located. Afterwords, you might have to remove the existing System Tray entry and add it back again.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The icon theme most likely lacks icons for a few things, and it will default to using the stock icons in this case.

Comment

Working...
              X