This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Browseing - just a tip

Haven't seen any posts on it, but I do see all sorts of posts all over the net with people having problems browsing SMB shares with Dolphin. So my tip is: check and install kde-zeroconf if it isn't installed. Then tweak firewall settings to allow zeroconf to work. :-) Hope it helps!

If you just want to make Dolphin read a samba share from a server, zeroconf isn't normally necessary. It has a larger function that just that:
    Zero-configuration networkingZero-configuration networking (zeroconf) is a set of technologies that automatically creates a usable computer network based on the Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) when computers or network peripherals are interconnected. It does not require manual operator intervention or special configuration servers. Without zeroconf, a network administrator must set up network services, such as Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and Domain Name System (DNS), or configure each computer's network settings manually.
    Zeroconf is built on three core technologies: automatic assignment of numeric network addresses for networked devices, automatic distribution and resolution of computer hostnames, and automatic location of network services, such as printing devices.
    Installing zeroconf isn't bad or anything, just not really necessary for this small functionality.

If you have access to the server's /etc/samba/smb.conf file, this edit will allow Dolphin to browse the shares without difficulty:

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    client max protocol = NT1
    Just add the "client max protocol = NT1" bit to the smb.conf and restart samba.

Of course, not everyone can access the server they are using so knowing both solutions is a good thing.

Please Read Me

Comment

I do have other services on my network which I was having problems seeing (this got them working as expected) - the working smb browsing was just a nice additional bonus for me. I know my maps and never really had a reason to browse - I just permanently map things I use. But I admit, this should make mapping things a little easier (esp when I make new shares and don't have them fully memorized).

Comment

Working...
      X