Clear All

'No secrets were provided'

Kubuntu 18.10,
    KDE Plasma Version 5.13.5
    KDE Framework Version 5.50.5
    QT Version 5.11.1
    Kernel Version 4.18.0-16-Generic
    OS Type 64-bit

Kubuntu WiFi is driving me bonkers. I have been using a Ralink wifi dongle ever since the Intel chip on the motherboard blew up. On booting up, I get the following pop-ups after a few seconds delay - if I'm lucky!

Wireless Interface (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    No secrets were provided

BTHub5-XXXX
    Connection 'BTHub5-XXXX' deactivated.

BTHub5-XXXX
    Connection 'BTHub5-XXXX' activated.

However, after a few boots, a pop-up demanding the WiFi password appears twice and each time I type in the correct password that is already saved in Network Connections. With luck, I then get the usual initial sequence.

After a few sessions, the connection fails and repeated attempts with the 'Connect' button result in two failed password pop-ups and a failed connection.

At that point, I open the wallet manager and delete the network folder and open Network Connections and delete the WiFi connection.

The next time a WiFi signal is selected, a password field appears below it. I type in the password and click connect.

Then, with luck, I am back to re-entering the password, twice, followed by,

Wireless Interface (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    No secrets were provided

BTHub5-XXXX

BTHub5-XXXX
    Connection 'BTHub5-XXXX' activated.

(Note: It's actually a Draytek router.) Once I have a successful connection, I go to Network Connections and set the interface as 'all users may connect to this network' in the General section and in the Security section I select 'Store password for all users (not encrypted)'. Then I have a few more sessions of the above sequence until the password pop-ups appear again. Although deleting the network folder in Wallet appears to help, it should not be involved after the above changes to Network Connections settings.

It appears that the password is transferred from the initial entry into the Network Connections security field (where it appears, correctly), but the boot attempt to connect to the default SSID does not use the Network Connections password. Some subsequent process may or may not use the setting and make the connection.

Kubuntu 18.10 was installed as a fresh beta release after the failure to install 18.04. I always leave the Home partition intact when installing a new release and so there might be some setting in the 'dot' folders getting in the way. However, a similar behaviour occurred all the way back to 17.04 when the Intel chip was still working. Ubuntu Studio on the same machine is just fine. I have Googled similar reports going back many years, so it's not just me and 18.10.

Recently, wpasupplicant was updated. I rebooted, but with little change. However, wifi now seems to connect without fuss before the desktop is loaded. Perhaps that was the problem.

Comment

It has gradually got back to its original difficult state. Has anyone else had this problem? Could there be some settings in the hidden home files causing this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by royleith View Post
        Could there be some settings in the hidden home files causing this problem?
        A way to check this is to add a new user, and see if the problem occurs when logged in as that user.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

@ John Little

Why didn't I think of that? I already had a user set up for such purposes. I have upgraded to 19.10 and WiFi is fine. Audio is erratic, now!

Comment

Working...
          X