Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I consider that this is a mad mad world that we now live in. In spite of this, it is gratifying and ensuring to see that the developers are all doing a superb job at advancing Eoan to another level of performance without a hitch.

Compared to last month, we now have version increases in all major areas:

KDE Plasma Version went from 5.16.4 --> 5.16.5
    KDE Frameworks Version went from 5.61.0 --> 5.62.0
    Kernel Version went from 5.2.0-13 --> 5.3.0-10

I continue to use the Pre-released and Unsupported updates which have resulted in 2200 updates in the past 50 days. This certainly shows the rate of Eoan development.

I noticed that with KDE Plasma 5.16.5 and KDE Frameworks 5.62.0 there is more support for Wayland. So I decided to have another go at trying Plasma (Wayland).

To start with, applications such as Firefox, Thunderbird, Gwenview, Gimp and Skype all work to my satisfaction. However the current limitations that I have found with brief testing are:

1) System Settings > Display and Monitor does not display resolution options for the primary display when an external monitor is attached. I have a UHD Laptop with a UHD external Monitor and in Plasma (Wayland), both of these are set by default to Scale 2x. I can change the scale for each so that they can independently have either 1x or 2x scale.

2) System Settings shows that under Startup and Shutdown" > Desktop Session, "Restore previous session" is set but nothing is restored on reboot.

3) My Kubuntu Default Panel and my Empty panel are displayed on my primary display and as well as on my external panel. The panels on my Plasma (Wayland) external monitor are identical to the laptop screen on my Plasma desktop. There is a slight difference to the entries that I have on my primary display Empty Panel. I also have a display widget and this is also appears on both screens instead of one.

4) Kdenlive can be launched but does not respond.

5) Spectacle launches but is unusable.

6) Menu selection items for LibreOffice 6.3.1.2 do not always appear. If they do appear and I return to the menu item it does not respond.

7) LibreOffice Impress doesn't show anything on the external monitor when I start a Slide Show and I cannot scale the size of the Impress window as I can with Calc and Writer.

I am sure that there are other applications which do and don't work. However the ones that I have listed are my first goto ones. This list of problems means that I cannot consider using Wayland for any serious work.

I only hope that what I have listed is easy to fix as I look forward to having Plasma (Wayland) as a viable alternative to Plasma.

Comment

Today I received notification that KDE Plasma 5.17 Beta was now available.

There are a number of improvements that have been made. See the announcement at:

https://kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.16.90.php

I have found that some of these changes I noticed immediately and I really like what they have done.

The beta for those interested can be installed by:
      Code:
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta && sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y

Comment

Hmm. Slightly off-topic, not too bad I hope...
        My Neon unstable, which is supposed to have even more updated Plasma, is still on 5.16.80.

Now I haven't updated for some five days, because, er, well.
        I went to update, it said:
        The following packages will be REMOVED: latte-dock neon-desktop plasma-desktop

Now, I really like latte-dock, and is removing neon-desktop and plasma-desktop a good idea?
        No mention of those being re-installed or upgraded either.
        It just got me worried, I updated my backup and... left it for the moment.

What would Linus do? ;·)

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          Hmm. Slightly off-topic, not too bad I hope...
          My Neon unstable, which is supposed to have even more updated Plasma, is still on 5.16.80.

Now I haven't updated for some five days, because, er, well.
          I went to update, it said:
          The following packages will be REMOVED: latte-dock neon-desktop plasma-desktop

Now, I really like latte-dock, and is removing neon-desktop and plasma-desktop a good idea?
          No mention of those being re-installed or upgraded either.
          It just got me worried, I updated my backup and... left it for the moment.

What would Linus do? ;·)
          I think I know why. I have poked a plasma-desktop rebuild which might fix that.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Well, I tried the updates again. No mention of removing anything. So I did them.
            Neon unstable now has Plasma 5.17.80 (Qt 5.12.3) - Kernel 5.0.0-29.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
              Well, I tried the updates again. No mention of removing anything. So I did them.
              Neon unstable now has Plasma 5.17.80 (Qt 5.12.3) - Kernel 5.0.0-29.
              It looks like you are having problems with Neon as I did some time ago. I gave up with Neon as reported in 2016 at;
              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ight=NoWorries.

I have found that the Kubuntu main, new and proposed distributions have been supprisingly reliable compared with my brief encounter with Neon.

Comment

Actually, Neon unstable is the best distro I've ever tried. For my personal tastes, it has a lot of advantages over Kubuntu.
                And plasma-wise at least, it may well be pointing at the direction Kubuntu is going, even more than Eoan.
                If it is, personally I like it.

The small - so far - price to pay is just that. Some plasma updates - probably most - are beta (if not alpha) stage.
                So there will be quirks.
                I just mentioned them here because the announcement you noted made me think, well, if eoan has the new plasma, I should too.
                So I went to update, which I hadn't done for a few days, and had to put it on hold.
                Yesterday I did it, and sure enough, I have 5.17.80

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  My own efforts with Eoan did not get far, because the casper scripts used by an iso boot are broken.
                  Just got the Kubuntu eoan daily build for the 26th, and I can boot into the iso, so this appears to be fixed.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                    Just got the Kubuntu eoan daily build for the 26th, and I can boot into the iso, so this appears to be fixed.
                    So glad that you now have it working for you.

I got a stack of updates this morning which included some for my AMD video card. I have been monitoring progress using glmark2 and with the latest updates it is now giving 2608. On the 29th May it was 2384 so I am pleased with the improvements in speed.

Also, I now have Kernel Version 5.3.0-13, with KDE Plasma 5.16.90, KDE Frameworks 5.62 and QT 5.12.4. So I am very happy with the progress being made. Nothing "broken" on the way.

Comment

Working...
                    X