This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Connect stopped working

BEFORE my recent failed upgrade attempt (and still after it), KDE Connect doesn't work. It used to! I have a Moto Z2 Force Edition phone (Android Oreo 8.0.0) with the latest version installed from the Play store; on my laptop, I used Synaptic to install its software. It worked GREAT!! There were a couple of features that didn't work, but a lot did--I could transfer files back and forth, I was seeing my phone's alerts on my laptop, etc.

Then one day it just stopped working.

I uninstalled/reinstalled at both ends. No luck. Tried again. No luck.

I searched other posts about KDE Connect before posting this, but none had the exact same issue and none of the solutions helped me. Please bear in mind that the version provided by Kubuntu 14.04 via Synaptic WORKED great.

Ideas? I don't NEED this little toy, but it's fun.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

It is extremely likely that the current version of the android app (updated within the last month) no longer works well, if at all, with the ancient version of the desktop version of Kdeconnect,
    I have seen a few reports of it no longer working with the version in 16.04, though there a PPA that has a slightly less ancient version for that.
    Unfortunately, there is no newer version available for 14.04 at all, anywhere.

You might try un-pairing on both the PC and the Phone, and trying to start from scratch. - uninstalling does not remove the pairing info on the PC end.

Note that 14.04 is becoming End of Life on 25 MarchApril
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 21, 2019, 04:02 PM. Reason: Correct EOL month

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      It is extremely likely that the current version of the android app (updated within the last month) no longer works well, if at all, with the ancient version of the desktop version of Kdeconnect,
      I have seen a few reports of it no longer working with the version in 16.04, though there a PPA that has a slightly less ancient version for that.
      Unfortunately, there is no newer version available for 14.04 at all, anywhere.

You might try un-pairing on both the PC and the Phone, and trying to start from scratch. - uninstalling does not remove the pairing info on the PC end.
      Thanks for the info. I don't see how I can un-pair them on the computer, because NOTHING comes up when I choose "KDE Connect" from my "System Settings" menu (the only place it appears). It shows this text at the top, "Connect and sync your devices with KDE," and there's a blank white area going down the left side, and a much bigger, blank gray area filling the rest of the screen. Its "Help" and "Defaults" buttons are grayed out.

When I click its icon in my system tray, it says "No paired devices available." Its settings from its tray icon...well, they're blank! There's literally nothing but an empty box where you expect options to appear.

I have a ~/KDEConnect directory, but it just contains files I transferred from my phone...back when it worked.

Note that 14.04 is becoming End of Life on 25 March
      After the debacle trying to upgrade to 16.04, I'm leaving well enough alone...for now. I'm still very prone to brain fog/fuzzy thinking since my little romp with sepsis, and the past few days have given my brain quite a workout. I'm not unhappy about that. I'm glad, actually. I've shown myself I can recover from a totally borked computer with no data loss, my appearance settings intact, and so on. I also did a first for me, a few months ago, replacing a LAPTOP keyboard. I was very proud of that. I'm taking baby steps, but I'm totally okay with that.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
      X