This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDM wants to remove stuff

Looking back at my old threads, I've found answers to various issues from the past. In one, I only had LightDM and was told installing KDM would solve my issue, and it did. Okay, so now, after a failed upgrade attempt and a clean reinstall of 14.04, I'm in that boat again. No biggie, I said to myself, I'll install KDM! But when I attempt to do that [via Synaptic], I'm told it's going to REMOVE a bunch of stuff that doesn't sound good to me: kubuntu-desktop, plasma-desktop, plasma-widgets-addons, kde-workspace...

Is that good? Should I do it?
    Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Apr 22, 2019, 07:09 PM.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

You just reinstalled 14.04. Did you then make sure it was fully up to date: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      You just reinstalled 14.04. Did you then make sure it was fully up to date: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade?
      No, sir, I did not.

Correct me if I'm wrong--and it's quite possible, my brain is not what it was before sepsis ravaged it--but wouldn't the second part of that upgrade the version? I don't want to do that. Or am I just misunderstanding what 'distribution upgrade' means.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

No. dist-upgrade doesn't 'upgrade' the version of Kubuntu. It does an intelligent upgrade of the installed packages.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          No. dist-upgrade doesn't 'upgrade' the version of Kubuntu. It does an intelligent upgrade of the installed packages.
          Thanks, SH. I've just done the first part, now I'll do the second, restart, and see what's what. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Problem solved. Thanks, Snowhog!

Comment

Working...
            X