This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version upgrade failed

Hey there, KFNers! I feel badly showing up after such a long absence in need of help, but here I am. To refresh memories, or let newer folks know, I came THIS CLOSE to dying, spent 6 months hospitalized, confined to bed, and another few months bed-bound at home. I've slowly resumed online activities, starting with an occasional tweet, then participating on one forum, then another, and now I'm here.

This morning I finally decided to click the 'version upgrade' button on my 14.04 laptop, upgrading to 16.04. It went perfectly smoothly, ultimately getting to the point of restarting the computer. Oops...

It's hanging after spitting out the errors shown in this very bad photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190417_154250x.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	649456

I'm stumped. It appears to be referring to a networking issue (CIFS), but the USB references...all of it, I don't know...

I went into its setup and boot options, and saw nothing amiss. Help!

PS Why do I keep being told I'm not logged in? I have to keep logging back in every few minutes.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Great that you're well enough to post here. Every encouragement.

The upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 became "not recommended" there were so many problems. (I did a couple of bad upgrades before I heard about that non-recommendation.) In any case IMO your Kubuntu is toast. and a reinstall is needed. If you don't have good backups of your data, you should be able to boot from a Live install USB, and copy your data off somewhere.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
      PS Why do I keep being told I'm not logged in? I have to keep logging back in every few minutes.
      Make sure that you check the 'Remember me' box on the login screen.

Welcome back.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

it is probably too late, but the screen output is likely not showing the actual cause of the freeze, or even much more than messages. It just happened to be on the screen when it froze, with the culprit causing this before any output could make it ti the screen, especially as many things are started in parallel.

Comment

Hi guys. Thanks for the welcome back; it's good to see you again.

Just to be clear, it hangs at that spot, or a few lines before, each time I re-try.

I had ZERO idea that following the 'version upgrade' to 16.04 button would lead to catastrophe. My data should be fine; I always follow this partitioning scheme:

/
          /home
          /data
          [swap space]

I have DropBox, so most everything is backed up there, but there are a few things I need to grab manually. If I boot off a live...something, it should detect the WiFi connection, correct?

Thanks. I've missed you guys.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Okay, I found the DVR I had put 14.04 on, and booted up from it. It confirms that all my data are fine. That's the good news.

The bad news is that it's not allowing me to copy certain files. For example, my mail. For each account, it will copy [to a USB-connected hard drive] inbox.msf but not inbox. I used my favorite tool, the command line, to see why, and as suspected it's due to their permissions. I tried changing their permissions...and that failed. So I can SEE everything--they're RIGHT THERE!--but I can't copy them.

Under networking, Samba shares, it's timing out when reading 'workgroup.' So I can't access another computer's hard drive--where I've set up username/password authorization and full read/write permissions. So even if files' permissions would allow it, I can't copy anything there, either.

On that same computer, I have KRFB running--and the laptop's VNC viewer did see and let me connect to that, but I don't know how to copy files from local to remote that way. Is it doable? Argh...the permissions...

I guess I'm at the point of reinstalling 14.04. I'll leave my /home and /data partitions untouched.

I think I'll wait awhile, in case anyone has something to add.

Comment

[how do I delete this?]
              Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Apr 19, 2019, 06:05 PM. Reason: user's stupidity

Comment

Working...
              X