This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spell Check For Falkon Browser?

Can anyone tell me how to get a spell checker for Falkon? I prefer it over Firefox, but am getting tired of manually proofreading (I'm a good speller, just a bad typist). Or opening a word document and doing it there. As Falkon is a KDE product, why does it not come with a spell checker?

I'm on 18.04, 64 bit, fully updated (though Falkon is version 3.1.0).

Thanks, Mykeal

Hi
    I apologize that someone has not replied more quickly, including myself.

You have posted an interesting question.

I find, in "configuration information" that "spellcheck" is "empty", which, I assume means...no spell checker, but you probably already checked that.

Here is the linky for Falkon and spell checking... it would "seem" to be that the USER can actually add a "dictionary" if one can find such, it needs a "chromium" dictionary and one would need to find the "hidden ? " folder in which to place it.

https://userbase.kde.org/Falkon

The "cache path" in configuration MAY give a hint as to where to upload such a file...i'm not saying that it IS the path but that it might give a general hint as to where to find the appropriate folder AND...you might need to actually create the folder.

Here is a general page as to where to find various Chromium "hunspell" files (converting them or using them is mentioned in the above linky.

https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

It would be a very neat exercise to actually get one into your Falkon and ... shall we say ... a "feather in your cap"? lol Like Rocky ..."You could be a contendah! ( developer ). "

I really DO think that this is merely a situation of;
    a) obtaining a file that generally would have the words which are appropriate to your situation.
    b) finding the folder into which to add the file
    c) GETTING DOLPHIN TO GIVE YOU ROOT ACCESS! :0 ... if you have been watching other threads that is a big "no-no" from those on high in KDE.

d) however, one can do it with Konqueror, it is just getting used to the slightly different file presentation of Konqueror.

AT THE BOTTOM of the configuration page the devs have placed a notice as to how to "report a bug". It might be an idea to gently ask them the particulars of placing the file which you found. Or not. lol

woodsorryIcan'tbeofmorehelpsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 08, 2019, 01:21 AM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

This approach worked for me (and should work in Kubuntu): https://forum.manjaro.org/t/qupzilla.../18?u=mparillo

Comment

Thank you woodsmoke. It looks as difficult as I thought. For now I am using Vivaldi. There I have another problem, which ad blocker to use, but I'll figure that one out.

mparillo: I copied the fix you provided (thanks!) and will give it a try.

Comment

The info on mparillo's link worked for me.

Comment

(Shameless plug) I also provide a pretty easy fix for Falkon's spellcheck here - Checking Out KDE's Falkon Web Browser In Detail.

Do note, however, that there is no way to add words to the Dictionary. Which, unfortunately for me, is still a deal-breaker.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

nice dequire

I think ill give that a go this weekend.

woody
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                nice dequire

I think ill give that a go this weekend.

woody
                Great! Let me know how you get on with it.
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                X