This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE connect stopped connecting

I had just time to get used to KDE connect, and to really appreciate it, that it just stopped...connecting.
    It was working just fine for about a month. Then I noticed I wasn't getting notifications on the PC.

The phone was paired. I mean, I could see the phone on the PC and the PC on the phone. But no notifications.
    kdeconnect-cli -l gave me a phone ID and all.
    So i tried reinstalling on the phone, and on the PC (with purge).
    Now they can't see each other at all. kdeconnect-cli -l gives 0 devices found and the app says no devices.

I don't have a firewall running.

Code:
    not@all:~$ sudo ufw reload
    [sudo] password for not: 
    Firewall not enabled (skipping reload)
    The process is running:

Code:
    not@all:~$ ps -ef | grep kdeconnect
    not       3164  1312  0 16:24 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdeconnectd
    It seems to be listening, but ony on TCP, not UDP.

Code:
    not@all:~$ sudo netstat -tunelp | grep -i kdeconnect
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1714            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1000       208377      3164/kdeconnectd
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1714            0.0.0.0:*                           1000       208376      3164/kdeconnectd
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:58319           0.0.0.0:*                           1000       208378      3164/kdeconnectd
    Killing and restarting does nothing.
    Deleting the configuration does nothing.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Apr 07, 2019, 02:32 PM.

After purging and reinstalling, did you go through the steps to pair the devices?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There are no devices to be seen in either the app or the PC client.
      There used to be...

Comment

The phone must be connected to the same subnet as the PC. Does the phone appear if you run arp in a konsole? I see
        Code:
        $ arp
        Address                  HWtype  HWaddress           Flags Mask            Iface
        ultrahub.hub             ether   10:13:31:a8:73:a0   C                     enp0s31f6
        android-53ca8a063e1ceb9  ether   d0:5b:a8:80:3c:a1   C                     enp0s31f6
        The "ultrahub.hub" is my router, and the android is the phone running KDE connect.

Note that due to recent changes in Google policy, you may have to run KDE connect on the phone to re-enable various features. I haven't been able to get file browsing to work.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Aha. the phone does not appear with arp.

Code:
          not@all:~$ arp
          Address                  HWtype  HWaddress           Flags Mask            Iface
          10.0.0.100               ether   08:d4:6a:ac:86:f1   C                     eth0
          10.0.0.1                 ether   4c:09:d4:7e:c9:e0   C                     eth0
          But if I ask the router for connected devices:

Code:
          IP=10.0.0.100   mac=08:D4:6A:AC:86:F1   nombre=android-a8ea27fcdee
          IP=10.0.0.101   mac=D0:50:99:55:56:17   nombre=all
          It is in the same network.
          Hmmm.

Comment

So, should arp see the phone?

The router does, and I can ping it from the PC:

Code:
            not@all:~$ ping 10.0.0.100
            PING 10.0.0.100 (10.0.0.100) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 10.0.0.100 ping statistics ---
            6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5007ms
            But...

Code:
            not@all:~$ kdeconnect-cli -l
            0 devices found
            And yes, the app is running on the phone, but it says "No devices".

Comment

...So i tried reinstalling...
              When you reinstalled, did you go through the app giving the various permissions it wants? As I understand it, Google has made some rules for apps like KDE connect that access a lot of a phone's hardware and software, requiring several permissions to be explicitly given. But IIRC KDE connect could see the phone before I gave all those permissions.

This stuff is newish, so I suspect buggy, with fixes arriving. Android apps update automatically, but conceivably some data has incompatibilities, so you might try another reinstall. I resolved my file access problem by reinstalling the app.
              [quote]So, should arp see the phone?[/arp]
              Only if it's in the ARP cache, which will only be if the PC interacts with it. The fact that you can ping it means it should be seen by kdeconnect-cli.

I've tried to find some documentation on how KDE connect works, or how to troubleshoot it, but all I've found is the source, and that will take time to dive into.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Thank you for the help.
                I still can't get it to work.

Android apps update automatically,
                Which is probably why it stopped working when it was OK.
                All permissions are granted. I have re-re-installed both the the Android app and the (K)Ubuntu one. No luck.

OK, I can live without KDEconnect. I kind of liked it though, and it does bug me slightly that I can't get it to work... but then :·)
                Maybe it will update again and it will work.
                Thanks again.

Comment

Minor update:
                  I booted up a live USB of Mint 18 KDE. Kdeconnect was pre-installed (on the live).
                  It paired and worked without a problem.

So the fault is obviously in my PC, the phone app is fine.

Comment

KDE connect is working for me on Neon user.
                    I mainly move files to the computer but i can also control the computer cursor from the phone I didn't test anything else.
                    woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                    X