This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot view available networks or install software

When I ran the live CD, I was able to turn the driver on for wireless and all of a sudden could see networks. After installation, however, this did not work. I have tried several different things, although nothing seems to work. For example, if I attempt to install drivers, or run an update, I get an error message about dependencies. I tried to run sudo apt-get install -f but this just freezes and crashes my laptop (lenovo) after a few minutes.

I never had any problem running ubuntu on my toshiba laptop, so I'm not sure if this is a kubuntu issue or a lenovo one. I checked that nothing was blocked and I should be able to use wifi, but still nothing.

Is there anything I can do as a last resort, I'm not sure how straightforward it is to just start over and reinstall or whether that would make a difference. It's strange I had no problem with the live version, but it stopped working after installation. I'm using my windows partition now, but I can switch back to get screenshots or error messages, I seem to be able to connect to the internet using my phone and a USB lead, although I still can't install anything or update.

Originally posted by iskalla View Post
    When I ran the live CD, I was able to turn the driver on for wireless and all of a sudden could see networks. After installation, however, this did not work. I have tried several different things...
    If the computer is not connected, trying things that use a connection isn't helpful.

If you click on the "Networks" in the system tray, what does it say? In my icon theme it looks like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	netw.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.0 KB
ID:	644153
    Is there anything I can do as a last resort...
    A good resort is to use a wired connection, plugging an ethernet cable into the computer and a router. But if the live session can talk to the wifi, the install should be able to as well. With the live session, did you choose a network and enter the wifi password?

I'm not sure how straightforward it is to just start over and reinstall
    If you've no data to lose, it's quite straightforward IMO, if you understand what drives and partitions are now present, and where you want the install to go. I was experimenting a few months ago and it used to take me 7 minutes. I suggest not checking the download updates checkbox, updates can be done after the connection is sorted.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Check your function keys for a WIFI toggle. Just a stab in the dark.
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        If the computer is not connected, trying things that use a connection isn't helpful.

If you click on the "Networks" in the system tray, what does it say? In my icon theme it looks like this:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]8022[/ATTACH]

A good resort is to use a wired connection, plugging an ethernet cable into the computer and a router. But if the live session can talk to the wifi, the install should be able to as well. With the live session, did you choose a network and enter the wifi password?

If you've no data to lose, it's quite straightforward IMO, if you understand what drives and partitions are now present, and where you want the install to go. I was experimenting a few months ago and it used to take me 7 minutes. I suggest not checking the download updates checkbox, updates can be done after the connection is sorted.
        I can connect using my phone via USB. I've been doing that, although my problem then is nothing will install. I was going to try fixing that after I got wifi working. I'll try updating as you said. Yes I connected to my wifi with password on live cd.

Networks icon has a Red Cross on. Only connection to configure is 'wired connection'.

No button or function key to toggle wifi on I don't think.

Edit: no updates available by looks of it. Updating via console brings up 'unable to locate package update'.

it says this in wireless-info.txt, i'm guessing blacklist means blocked. could this be anything to do with it?

[/etc/modprobe.d/amd64-microcode-blacklist.conf]
        blacklist microcode

[/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath_pci.conf]
        blacklist ath_pci

[/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf]
        blacklist evbug
        blacklist usbmouse
        blacklist usbkbd
        blacklist eepro100
        blacklist de4x5
        blacklist eth1394
        blacklist snd_intel8x0m
        blacklist snd_aw2
        blacklist i2c_i801
        blacklist prism54
        blacklist bcm43xx
        blacklist garmin_gps
        blacklist asus_acpi
        blacklist snd_pcsp
        blacklist pcspkr
        blacklist amd76x_edac

[/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-rare-network.conf]
        alias net-pf-3 off
        alias net-pf-6 off
        alias net-pf-9 off
        alias net-pf-11 off
        alias net-pf-12 off
        alias net-pf-19 off
        alias net-pf-21 off
        alias net-pf-36 off

Comment

No idea what I did, but it's working now. I uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless driver whilst connected to the internet. I blacklisted and unblacklisted a couple of things and then it just started working. Now to resolve the software thing.

Final edit:

Software is not installing I think i was running incorrect command Sudo apt-get install update instead of sudo apt-get update.

Thankyou! I can now try out kubuntu.
          Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 08, 2019, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X