This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to get Kubuntu on my laptop as 2nd OS

...but I am at loss for good guides on how to do it. (I did a half hearted failed attempt about a year ago). Any suggestions as to what I should read before starting?

Advice regarding:
    • double boot or virtual machine set up?
    • wrangling UEFI with linux to make the machine accept installation (think this is where things went wrong last time I tried)
    • general and up-to-date linux on laptops stuff

I am not a complete novice to linux, I have used kubuntu regularly from about 2007 to about Win10 release time as that was when my previous dedicated linux machine died. I have installed kubuntu and older windows with double-boot setup before, but I couldn't get it right on the laptop (struggling to make it boot linux from USB) - ultimately I reversed the whole process. I also use linux at work, so without placing myself in the expert category, I am an experienced user and can read guides at above novice level. Finding them is a different issue ...

My main motive for making a dual-OS laptop is I need a computer for working on my own programming skills. I don't really require high performance for that (--> virtual OS?)

If you don't require/need everything that your laptop provides natively, then installing Linux in a VM (Virtual Machine) is a good way to go, and pretty straight forward. I use VirtualBox from https://www.virtualbox.org/ and I'm pleased with it.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X