This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Reset

so i tried installing a wireless driver for my wireless ethernet, from source code, and it ended up being worse than the default. i have removed the one from source code but it is still acting up. how can i reinstall and use the default? I used sudo make uninstall to remove the one I installed from source but it feels like it is still the one in use.

Originally posted by Oderus View Post
    so i tried installing a wireless driver for my wireless ethernet, from source code, and it ended up being worse than the default. i have removed the one from source code but it is still acting up. how can i reinstall and use the default? I used sudo make uninstall to remove the one I installed from source but it feels like it is still the one in use.
    I suggest avoiding the guessing and running "ethtool -i". You may have to install ethtool. Find the name of the interface with "ls /sys/class/net" (or say, ifconfig or ip link show). F.ex.:
    Code:
    $ ls /sys/class/net
    enp0s31f6  lo
    $ ethtool -i enp0s31f6
    driver: e1000e
    version: 3.4.2.1-NAPI
    firmware-version: 0.8-4
    expansion-rom-version: 
    bus-info: 0000:00:1f.6
    supports-statistics: yes
    supports-test: yes
    supports-eeprom-access: yes
    supports-register-dump: yes
    supports-priv-flags: no
    When I was mucking around with the driver, I used modprobe -r to remove the driver. That would kill the internet connection, and I worry that if you don't have the older one ready to go you might get no ethernet.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      I suggest avoiding the guessing and running "ethtool -i". You may have to install ethtool. Find the name of the interface with "ls /sys/class/net" (or say, ifconfig or ip link show). F.ex.:
      Code:
      $ ls /sys/class/net
      enp0s31f6  lo
      $ ethtool -i enp0s31f6
      driver: e1000e
      version: 3.4.2.1-NAPI
      firmware-version: 0.8-4
      expansion-rom-version: 
      bus-info: 0000:00:1f.6
      supports-test: yes
      supports-eeprom-access: yes
      supports-register-dump: yes
      supports-priv-flags: no
      When I was mucking around with the driver, I used modprobe -r to remove the driver. That would kill the internet connection, and I worry that if you don't have the older one ready to go you might get no ethernet.
      s /sys/class/net
      enp3s0 lo wlp2s0
      tweak@AmigaBuntu:~$ ethtool -i wlp2s0
      driver: rtl8821ae
      version: 4.18.0-17-generic
      firmware-version: N/A
      expansion-rom-version:
      bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
      supports-test: no
      supports-eeprom-access: no
      supports-register-dump: no