This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation problem, only sda shown

I am trying to install Kubuntu Bionic Beaver on a surface pro 3 that runs windoze 10 on the main "hard drive".

I have a multiport USB device and am using a 2 gig SD card with a live version of the Beaver. My goal is to install onto a 64 gig micro SD, which in theory would be drive sdb ( or sdc ). The only drive shown in the installation media is sda,

I did not have this problem with Debian or Ubuntu installations.

Thanks in advance.

I've only ever tried with Kubuntu on a few Thinkpads but the SD card was never available as a bootable device.
    The Surface Pro is an unusual device, not your typical IBM compatible device so it might work differently.

Comment

I found a solution for this. Simple, really.

Ran the live USB stick and mounted the extra drive. Then I ran the install program. Worked like a charm.

Comment

Just FYI is case someone else finds this thread; Many newer computers come with Intel "Rapid Storage Technology" enabled by default. My new Lenovo laptop did and it only has one drive - useless. The point is if RST is enabled, the Linux kernel will not see the drive(s).

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Just FYI is case someone else finds this thread; Many newer computers come with Intel "Rapid Storage Technology" enabled by default. My new Lenovo laptop did and it only has one drive - useless. The point is if RST is enabled, the Linux kernel will not see the drive(s).
          Heh. I just started looking at this thread and thought the same thing. My Ideapad had the same issue after I added an nvme add to it. That one was actually an incompatible version, based on reports on Lenovo's forum.

The second one still didn't get recognized, and it also did not show up in the bios until I disabled RST. This case was not a Linux or OS thing at all, though.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X