X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AppImage integration ??

Hi

Having used Ubuntu previously I'm missing that feature in Kubuntu 18.04 that I'm now using ! In ubuntu, once downloaded and chmod a+x on the appimage file, I ran it first time from console and automatically system offered to create shortcut in apps menu of desktop so next time I could directly start it as a "regular" app !
    I'm disappointed to see it's not the case in Kubuntu, system doesn't offer that option ! I have seen on appimage official website that it would exist a appimage daemon that would handle that but it looks not to be avalaible in official packages of Kubuntu !
    Isn't it possible yet in KDE to get that nice automation ?

Thanks

Vincèn

I think this depends on the appimage.
    In kubuntu 18.10 Etcher and Stacer ask for menu integration
    But Avidemux does not ask for menu integration

Comment

Originally posted by v7peer View Post
      I think this depends on the appimage.
      Well on ubuntu all were working with integration (few ones I use: etcher, plexamp, pmp, filebot) and none on kubuntu...

Originally posted by v7peer View Post
      In kubuntu 18.10 Etcher and Stacer ask for menu integration
      But Avidemux does not ask for menu integration
      Just noticed something strange: I created manually entry in app menu for each of them, and now first time I started them through menu apps, I got integration popup to show up It looks like the integration menu is not always triggered at first run of a new appimage !

Comment

It depends on the Appimage author - if it does not offer to make a menu item you'll have to add it manually by right clicking on the menu button and selectiing Edit Applications. You may have to down load and Icon image for it also and use that as it may not have one in the icon files. Good Luck.
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I'm a heavy user of AppImages (I prefer my production programs to be "portable"). As mentioned, Desktop Integration depends on the author, some ask if you want to do that, some do not.

I personally have just created .desktop files that I use whenever I spin up a new system and move them into the appropriate directory and that handles menu integration without having to figure out how it's down graphically depending on the distro (I started doing this as I was in the distro hopping phase of my relationship with Linux). As long as you keep using everything the same way from system to system.

I also use this method to easily point to custom icons that I've created (SVGs) as well. I've never known an AppImage to not have an icon file with it, but none of them fit the theme that I like to have, so I go the custom route.
          Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Working...
          X