This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panel many missing characters on taskbar and clock

I'm having an odd issue with my KDE desktop. Since I built this machines icons on the desktop showed ok when first logged in, but their text became corrupted after the machine resulted from sleep. This was annoying but minor. After I updated a few days ago with the latest patches for Kubuntu 18.10 that corruption with the desktop icons stopped, but now the text in the KDE panel is missing most characters.

Now the text it is trying to show does correspond to the applications running, just with lots of missing characters. Some characters which are omitted once can show up elsewhere, it's inconsistent. The digital clock is also effected, but wasn't when I took the screenshot. The font set for the panel, and the font size, is used elsewhere in the UI and works fine there. Changing the font or its size makes no difference, so I don't think it's corrupted font files, but I've also no idea what else to check.

The only thing I can think of that is relevant is that I'm on a HiDPI screen, so have "Force Fonts DPI" set to 196. I tried dropping this setting slightly lower, also to no effect.

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA

What happens if you add a new Panel?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You mean when I start up another app? The task bar items resize (or stack) normally, but the text on them is still incomplete. Adding/removing widgets works fine (and the text on them is ok too), as are the icons on the task items, it's just the task items text that's incomplete.

Comment

No, a new Panel. But, you could also remove the Task Manager widget and then add it back. Point being, it might be the Task Manager and/or Panel itself that is causing your issue. What Desktop Theme are you using? What Icon Theme?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ah, hadn't realised I could do that. The things you discover after decades using Linux :-)

That actually appears to have fixed things, added a new panel, which presents absolutely correctly, so I deleted the old one. I haven't done a suspend/resume or reboot to confirm it's a permanent fix. Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Working...
          X