X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Messages

The following lines show up in my /var/boot/boot.log

[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-b0e53458\x2d3b4b\x2d4b2f\x2da3f5\x2dba36913890d2.d evice.
    [DEPEND] Dependency failed for /dev/disk/by-uuid/b0e53458-3b4b-4b2f-a3f5-ba36913890d2.
    [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Swap.

I recently resized my swap, and changed the name of one partition. However, they both work and my pc does boot. My swap partition mounts just fine at startup but I think it is looking for my old partitions which clearly aren't there. At least, that's what I think.

Furthermore, just before SDDM, I get a message saying Root_Filesystem:clean, followed by a USB error I have never seen before.
    Firstly, how can I mute the root filesystem clean message and have it show up only if there is a problem, secondly, determine this usb error I am getting and fix it.
    I am not sure where the file is that logs these messages, if anyone knows.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Here's my /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=4a4593cf-11b9-411b-a319-1ef5d7e8c610 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /home was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=61114d18-1c45-4eaf-a434-c1cb3d55a9f0 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
    # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=4000e5a3-85a5-4a43-a275-a396cbd85448 none swap sw 0 0
    UUID=34571856-ae81-40fb-944a-3ea1be423cfb /boot ext2 defaults 0 2
    Last edited by Oderus; Mar 12, 2019, 12:45 PM. Reason: additional information

When you resized your swap, the UUID probably changed. Either edit /etc/fstab and change the UUID to the device name (like /dev/sda6 or whatever), or open Konsole, type "lsblk", get the new UUID and edit fstab with it.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 12, 2019, 03:21 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      When you resized your swap, the UUID probably changed. Either edit /etc/fstab and change the UUID to the device name (like /dev/sda6 or whatever), or open Konsole, type "lsblk", get the new UUID and edit fstab with it.
      I posted my fstab above, and all the numbers are correct

Comment

Originally posted by Oderus View Post
        The following lines show up in my /var/boot/boot.log...
        What's that? My 18.10 doesn't have a /var/boot directory, nor any file called boot.log. system-ish logs are in /var/log. Does
        Code:
        journalctl | grep -i depend
        show anything like those lines? I suspect you've got something non-Kubuntu starting.

I'm also puzzled by the text
        dev-disk-by\x2duuid-b0e53458\x2d3b4b\x2d4b2f\x2da3f5\x2dba36913890d2.d evice
        "\x2d" is a hyphen in ASCII, and it looks like it's referring to
        /dev/disk/by-uuid/b0e53458-3b4b-4b2f-a3f5-ba36913890d2, where the "/" path separators have been replaced with hyphens, and hyphens with \x2d.

I dislike uuids, they're not very human readable. My 18.10 /etc/fstab is
        Code:
        #<file system> <mount>     <type>  <options>                          <dump>  <pass>
        LABEL=main     /           btrfs   defaults,subvol=@_cosmic,noatime     0       1
        # /boot/efi was on /dev/sdc1 during installation
        LABEL=EFI      /boot/efi   vfat    umask=000,noauto,noatime,user        0       1
        # /home was on /dev/sdc2 during installation
        LABEL=main     /home       btrfs   defaults,subvol=@home_cosmic,noatime 0       2
        # swap was on /dev/sdc3 during installation
        PARTLABEL=swap none        swap    sw                                   0       0
        #
        #john's extra mounts
        # the true root of the btrfs volume for convenience
        LABEL=main     /mnt/top    btrfs   defaults,noatime                     0       0
        # the hard drive for miscellaneous stuff
        LABEL=stuff    /mnt/stuff  btrfs   defaults,noatime,noauto,user         0       2
        Of course, I have to ensure the labels are set correctly, but it's well worth it IMO.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          What's that? My 18.10 doesn't have a /var/boot directory, nor any file called boot.log. system-ish logs are in /var/log.
          I assume that's a typo. I'm sure that the intended entry was /var/log/boot.log.

Please Read Me

Comment

Regardless of the above, it seems your system is either looking for a drive that doesn't exist or something else odd.

I would start by looking for that suspect UUID in grub.cfg

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              What's that? My 18.10 doesn't have a /var/boot directory, nor any file called boot.log. system-ish logs are in /var/log. Does
              Code:
              journalctl | grep -i depend
              show anything like those lines? I suspect you've got something non-Kubuntu starting.

I'm also puzzled by the text
              "\x2d" is a hyphen in ASCII, and it looks like it's referring to
              /dev/disk/by-uuid/b0e53458-3b4b-4b2f-a3f5-ba36913890d2, where the "/" path separators have been replaced with hyphens, and hyphens with \x2d.

I dislike uuids, they're not very human readable. My 18.10 /etc/fstab is
              Code:
              #<file system> <mount>     <type>  <options>                          <dump>  <pass>
              LABEL=main     /           btrfs   defaults,subvol=@_cosmic,noatime     0       1
              # /boot/efi was on /dev/sdc1 during installation
              LABEL=EFI      /boot/efi   vfat    umask=000,noauto,noatime,user        0       1
              # /home was on /dev/sdc2 during installation
              LABEL=main     /home       btrfs   defaults,subvol=@home_cosmic,noatime 0       2
              # swap was on /dev/sdc3 during installation
              PARTLABEL=swap none        swap    sw                                   0       0
              #
              #john's extra mounts
              # the true root of the btrfs volume for convenience
              LABEL=main     /mnt/top    btrfs   defaults,noatime                     0       0
              # the hard drive for miscellaneous stuff
              LABEL=stuff    /mnt/stuff  btrfs   defaults,noatime,noauto,user         0       2
              Of course, I have to ensure the labels are set correctly, but it's well worth it IMO.
              The command journalctl | grep -i depend output was literally nothin.
              I would like to fix my fstab all nicely but I am not sure exactly what I am doing so I have not yet.

Comment

nothing like that in my grub.cfg

Comment

In a konsole, what does blkid show?
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    In a konsole, what does blkid show?
                    /dev/sda1: LABEL="Root Filesystem" UUID="4a4593cf-11b9-411b-a319-1ef5d7e8c610" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="87a48055-01"
                    /dev/sda3: LABEL="Boot" UUID="34571856-ae81-40fb-944a-3ea1be423cfb" TYPE="ext2" PARTUUID="87a48055-03"
                    /dev/sda5: LABEL="Home" UUID="61114d18-1c45-4eaf-a434-c1cb3d55a9f0" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="87a48055-05"
                    /dev/sda6: LABEL="Storage" UUID="10dbf2ba-79dc-4007-adbb-a1d6f166ad37" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="87a48055-06"
                    /dev/sda7: UUID="4000e5a3-85a5-4a43-a275-a396cbd85448" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="87a48055-07"

As far as I can tell, the log has no errors after my most recend boot. So the problems I have now are.. just before SDDM pops, I get a message saying Root_Filesystem:clean, followed by a USB error. Is there a log for these? I just wish to quiet the filesystem clean one, but the usb error, i don't know
                    Last edited by Oderus; Mar 17, 2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

What is the 'USB error'?

Comment

I would have posted what it is, but I don't know where to find the log and it flashes for just a second. I will take a photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Oderus View Post
                          I would have posted what it is, but I don't know where to find the log and it flashes for just a second. I will take a photo.
                          USB 1-3: 3:1: cannot get freq at ---- and i cant read the rest because my camera sucks.

Comment

You can open a konsole (after logging in and the Desktop has loaded) and issue the command:

dmesg | grep "USB 1-3: 3:1: cannot get freq at"

Comment

[ 12.143043] usb 1-3: 3:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x84
                              [ 99.194121] usb 1-3: 3:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x84
                              [ 99.240214] usb 1-3: 3:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x84

Comment

Working...
                              X