This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Install Windows 10 in Virtual Box

I searched the forums and didn't find anything on this so I'm starting a thread. If this is a duplicate of another thread please disregard.

I had to replace my SSD and reinstall everything including Virtual Box. Found that I had to install version 6 directly from Oracle. The version 5 in the repoitory simply did not work for me?.?

Anyway, I then had the problem of installing Windows 10. Since the iso file is too large to install on a DVD, I used unetbootin to install on a flash drive intending to install Windows 10 in virtual box using USB.

Searched for hours and there was no way to install from USB that I could find and then, by changing my search terms, I stumbled on a better way.

In short, use the iso file directly, i.e., mount the iso file in a virtual optical device and then boot the virtual machine. With the iso file mounted as a CD/DVD drive, the boot goes directly to the optical drive for booting and the Windows 10 installation in the virtual machine begins.

It is so simple that it escaped me completely until I stumbled on a web page that instructs in the process. The process is so simple that is is done in a few minutes.

The steps condensed:
    1. create the virtual machine in Virtual Box Manager,
    2. in "Storage" add an IDE controller (don't know if the standard SATA controller will work for an optical drive, didn't try),
    3. Add a CD/DVD under the new IDE controller and use the iso file as the new DVD
    4. once you have the new virtual machine setup to your specs,
    5. simply Start the machine which then boots from the new optical drive with the Windows 10 Live on it.

Fast easy and simple.

Here is the web site describing the process in more detail:

http://www.lorenzobettini.it/2018/03...ng-virtualbox/

The title is a little misleading for what I wanted and I ALMOST missed reading it.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 11, 2019, 09:42 AM.

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    ...In short, use the iso file directly, i.e., mount the iso file in a virtual optical device...
    You can boot many isos directly from grub; can it usefully boot a Windows iso?

That would seem to me to be more direct than setting up a virtual drive for the iso, but maybe I'm missing something.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

actually, if you don't do any of that, vbox prompts you for the iso file the first time you launch the vm. In other words;

1. Launch the Virtualbox manager.
      2. Select "Machine" -> "New"
      3. Fill in the name for the machine, the type of OS, set the RAM and virtual disk size and type, and "Create"
      4. Launch the new Virtual Machine.

Then you'll get this window:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190312_114910.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	644142

Simply navigate to the ISO and select it. You can also install from media (USB or DVD, etc.) this way.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have replaced my CD/DVD drive with an extra HDD caddy. I load all my VMs straight from .iso files. I thought that was pretty much standard procedure.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
        X