This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ext Hard Drive permissions

I am running Kubuntu 18.10 and am having a devil of a time modifying files on an external drive. I have a 1 TB Seagate external drive that I would like to store music on. I was able to copy files to it using Nemo as Root. However, Clementime does not recognise this location as a Music source. I have an SD card that also has music on it that is recognised, as well as a thumbdrive. But the Seagate is not. In fact, if I want to do anything with the Seagate I have to use Nemo as root. How do I access this drive within Dolphin and still be able to modify files and the like?

Under properties, who is listed as Owner for the Seagate drive?
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Ownership
      User:root
      Group:root

Comment

I had the exact same problem with an external drive. Since it's impossible to run Dolphin as root, I installed Nautilus. From the konsole I ran Nautilus as root and could change ownership.
        (I'm sure you can do it without Nautilus too, but I'm no Linux guru at all...)

Comment

How this normally works depends on the file system of the drive. If it's NTFS it should be immediately accessible. If it's a Linux file system, you'll have to "chown" it to your user the first time you plug it in.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ha!!! That was the issue..it was not an NTSF formated drive. Luckily I had a back up of my back up..so I formatted the drive and BOOM! All accesible and all good! Thanx everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X