Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I control when then system checks for updates ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I control when then system checks for updates ?

When booting Kubuntu 18.10, it appears that the system checks for updates on each boot.
    Is there a way I can control when the system checks for updates ?
    I would prefer to do a system update check once a week, & not on each boot.
    Thanks.

Launch Muon Package Manager

Click on Settings > Configure Software Sources

Type in your password and press Enter

Click on the Updates tab

Under Automatic updates click on the dropdown to the right of Check for updates: and select Weekly.

Click Close

Close Muon Package Manager
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Unfortunately a check on startup in addition to the regular checks is done, no matter what you change that setting to. This is coded into the KDE update notifier that sits in the system tray.

A not ideal solution is to go into the system tray setting and disable the updates icon/notifier, which as it's not loaded on startup then, does not run a check. You can then do a manual check whenever you want to in discover/muon/apt etc.
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks for the info... I changed the Muon Setting to weekly, but the Discover App still wants to add changes as they become available (daily).
        Discover (Update Tool) also offered a Flatpack Backend today. Where can I find info about what a Flatpack is & what a Flatpack Backend is ?

Comment

Ubuntu brings Flatpak with it so you will find some packages lying dormant on your system. They are totally self-contained programmes that can run without needing you to install additional software. App Images and Snap packages work the same way. Probably not worth the hassle of removing them.

A precationary tale - I use Neon now and had one occasion when I had checked and installed updates that day. Surprised a short while later when the system flagged more updates were available. Kubuntu does not change that rapidly but that was where I learned to keep fully updated just in case!!

Comment

Working...
          X